How Many Centimeters of Wire Were Used Up? | Mu Alpha Theta Math Club Question"

In summary, the conversation is discussing a math problem involving a wire being tightly wound around a cylindrical pole, resulting in a thicker pole with a new radius of (4+h). The question is how many centimeters of wire were used, and the conversation includes thoughts on finding the volume and cross-sectional area to determine the length of wire used.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I don't know how many are familiar with this math club, I think it is mostly a southern thing, but here is a question which remains to stump me.

---------
Wire of 0.1cm is tightly wound (with no gaps in between layers) around a cylindrical pole of 3cm radius between heights of 0cm and 1cm. As a result, this part of the pole thickens, and the new radius is (4+h), where h is the height. How many centimeters of wire were used up?

(Hint: Length * Cross-sectional Area = Volume)
----------------

Ok, here are my few thoughts.

I guess you need to find the volume and the cross-sectional area, and thus divide to find the length.

For volume, an inegral of something along of the lines of [tex]\pi\int_{0}^{1}(4+h)^2dh[/tex] might find the volume.

For cross-sectional area, perhaps (3)(4+h).

Thanks,
Jameson

Physics news on Phys.org
what do they mean by no gaps between layers? Does this mean you can treat the winding as a solid shell?

I assume so. That's how I took it.

Okay, calculate the volume of that cylindrical shell the wire forms. You know the radius of the wire so you can find the cross sectional area of the wire. The volume of wire used, which is equal to the cross sectional area time the length of wire used, must be equal to that volume.

Those were my thoughts... can you look at my work before I calculate a wrong answer?

I don't know if I set the problem up correctly.

FAQ: How Many Centimeters of Wire Were Used Up? | Mu Alpha Theta Math Club Question"

1. What is Mu Alpha Theta?

Mu Alpha Theta is a national mathematics honor society for high school and two-year college students. It aims to promote and celebrate excellence in mathematics and inspire students to pursue further studies in the field.

2. How can I become a member of Mu Alpha Theta?

In order to become a member of Mu Alpha Theta, you must meet certain academic requirements set by your school's chapter. These requirements typically include a minimum GPA and enrollment in certain math courses. You must also pay a membership fee and participate in chapter activities.

3. What benefits do members of Mu Alpha Theta receive?

Members of Mu Alpha Theta have access to various opportunities such as scholarships, competitions, and conferences. They also have the chance to network with other students and professionals in the field of mathematics.

4. Can I join Mu Alpha Theta even if I am not a math major?

Yes, Mu Alpha Theta is open to all students who have a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics, regardless of their intended major. However, you must meet the academic requirements and be enrolled in at least one math course to be eligible for membership.

5. How can I start a Mu Alpha Theta chapter at my school?

If your school does not have a Mu Alpha Theta chapter, you can contact the national organization to learn more about starting one. You will need to gather a group of interested students and a faculty advisor, and follow the guidelines and procedures provided by the organization.