Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode

In summary: Can you tell me more about this?The voltage meter will only work if pin 9 is open. This will allow the voltage to be read from the meter.
lostminty
Hi,

so. I don't know a lot of electronics but this is effectively what I'm trying to create:

A photo diode controls the circuit, I assume they give out a current proportional to the intensity of the light it receives.
The ciruit, depending on the light intensity will light up different LED's. Also, there would need to be an ability to adjust this..I guess by having a rheostat connected to the photo diode.

Any help would be appreciated, I love to learn.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a very vague description of the circuit. Too vague to suggest anything specific.

Do you know how transistors work?

yeah I am a little aware. They're voltage controlled switches in this example?

YUSTxDf.png

You could use op-amps. And to me it looks like you may have the battery polarity switched up in the example above just a heads up. This circuit shows how to use op amps to measure the level of a battery. You can easily modify it to measure the level of light. Connect your phototransistor in series with all of those resistors on the left side and for your V-in use the wiper of a potentiometer so you can calibrate your "meter", of course connect the two outer pins the same voltage as the phototransistor is and you input will be the middle "wiper" pin. For the op amps you could use the NE5532 (You can get them cheap here along with everything else you need http://www.taydaelectronics.com/ne5532-5532-ic-dual-low-noise-op-amp.html) and make sure all the resistors on the left side of the pic are the same value. And for the LED resistors you can use an online calculator for your LED's. As for your voltage source I would use a simple 9v battery but really anything 5-15vdc will work. Hope this helps let me know if you get it to work or have other questions

03033.png

Last edited:
lostminty said:
yeah I am a little aware. They're voltage controlled switches in this example?
I don't see how this is supposed to work, even if you switch the battery polarity.

Start with specifications, please. What do you want to do? Do you want LEDs to light up if there is incoming light? Multiple LEDs at once, or more LEDs for more light? Do you want LEDs to go out if there is incoming light? Something else?

OK, I have a stronger idea of what I am trying to achieve and will try my darnedest to articulate its requirements:

Yes, it is essentially a voltage meter. I'm not sure of the range of voltages involved, 1-2V approximately. Would need to be able to fine tune the sensitivity of the circuit.

I would like to light up LEDs that indicate the voltage independently, ie only one at a time.

I am using an LED as the photo-diode, this is, as far as I understand, to restrict the wavelength range that the circuit will respond to. I am not sure as to the linearity of the response for the LED. It is effectively a make shift spectrophotometer. I have an LED of a certain wavelength on one side of the sample, and the receiving LED (photo-diode substitute) on the other side.

I'm using it to measure concentration of a particular compound in the sample. Beers law predicts a linear relationship between absorbance and concentration.

I've played around with a test jig, and found the response voltage of the LED to be approximately linear. Ranging from 1.3V for a high concentration to 2V for negligible concentration.

What is a Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode?

A Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode is a circuit that uses a photodiode as a sensor to detect changes in light intensity. The photodiode then controls the activation and deactivation of multiple LEDs, creating a customizable lighting system.

How does the photodiode control the LEDs in the circuit?

The photodiode is connected to a microcontroller, which reads the voltage output of the photodiode and uses it to trigger the LEDs on or off. This allows for precise control of the LEDs based on the amount of light detected by the photodiode.

What are the advantages of using a Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode?

One advantage is the ability to create a responsive and energy-efficient lighting system. The LEDs will only turn on when needed, based on the light level detected by the photodiode. This can save energy and prolong the life of the LEDs. Additionally, the use of a microcontroller allows for customizable lighting patterns and effects.

What types of applications can benefit from a Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode?

This type of circuit can be useful in a variety of applications, such as automatic outdoor lighting systems, smart home lighting systems, and even in medical devices for light therapy. It can also be used in creative projects, such as interactive art installations or stage lighting.

Are there any limitations to using a Multi LED circuit controlled by photodiode?

One limitation is that the circuit may not be suitable for applications where precise light detection is required. The sensitivity of the photodiode and accuracy of the microcontroller may not be sufficient for specialized uses such as scientific experiments or medical devices. Additionally, external factors such as ambient light can affect the performance of the circuit.