Multimeter values different and fluctuations

In summary, during the measurement of current through a parallel circuit using a multimeter, there were issues with fluctuation and significant differences between theoretical and practical values. The multimeter was changed to an ammeter and a dual power supply was used. However, there were constant short circuits due to the compact circuit on a breadboard and resistors and leads touching. It is possible that this could account for the discrepancies and fluctuations. A more detailed circuit diagram and component descriptions would be helpful in determining the exact causes of low current and fluctuations. Additionally, there were questions about where the multimeter was connected and where shorts occurred, as well as the original mention of a parallel circuit. It was later clarified that a single power supply was used.
lee123456789
Homework Statement
none
Relevant Equations
none
I measured current through a parrallel circuit and my multimeter fluctuated massively and compared to theoretical values they are miles out. multimeter was changed over to ampmeter. I used duel power supply. Throughtout the measuring i kept getting short circuits. The circuit on the breadboard was compact and resistors kept touching and leads kept touching other resistors.

would this of accounted for the massive difference between theory values and practical as well as the fluctuation on the scale?
What are possible causes of low current and fluctuation?

Physics news on Phys.org
With such a vague description of what you are doing, it's hard to say. How about an exact circuit diagram with descriptions of the components.

phinds said:
With such a vague description of what you are doing, it's hard to say. How about an exact circuit diagram with descriptions of the components.
digrAM.png

multimeter
resistors
wires
duel power supply

I see no indication of where the meter was hooked up and no indication of where shorts occurred.

Also, you originally said a parallel circuit but I see no parallel circuit here.

phinds said:
I see no indication of where the meter was hooked up and no indication of where shorts occurred.

Also, you originally said a parallel circuit but I see no parallel circuit here.
connected to the 33omh resistor and shot occurred between the 33 and 15 path.
sorry meant single

1. Why do the values on my multimeter change even when the measurement is stable?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there is electrical noise in the circuit, causing small fluctuations in the readings. Another reason could be a loose connection or a faulty component in the multimeter itself.

2. How accurate are the measurements on a multimeter?

The accuracy of a multimeter depends on its quality and calibration. Higher quality multimeters are typically more accurate, with some models having an accuracy of up to 0.1%. It is important to regularly calibrate your multimeter to ensure accurate readings.

3. Can I trust the readings on a cheap multimeter?

While cheaper multimeters may not have the same level of accuracy as higher-end models, they can still provide reliable readings for basic measurements. It is important to carefully read the specifications and reviews of a multimeter before purchasing to ensure it meets your needs.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC measurements on a multimeter?

AC (alternating current) measurements are used for circuits with changing electrical flow, such as household outlets and appliances. DC (direct current) measurements are used for circuits with a constant electrical flow, such as batteries and electronic components. Make sure to select the correct setting on your multimeter for the type of measurement you need.

5. How can I troubleshoot fluctuations in multimeter readings?

First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. If the problem persists, try using a different multimeter or have your current one calibrated. If the issue still cannot be resolved, it may be a sign of a larger electrical issue that requires further investigation.