1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple dielectrics in one capacitor

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    Hi guys, I'm absolutely, completely and utterly stumped with this one question I've been given..

Here is the exact question:

Given that you possess the following materials:
    (i) two sheets of copper of uniform thickness;
    (ii) one sheet of mica of uniform thickness 0.10 mm and dielectric constant κ= 6;
    (iii) one sheet of glass of uniform thickness 2.0 mm and dielectric constant κ = 7;
    (iv) one sheet of paraffin wax of uniform thickness 1.0 cm and dielectric constant
    κ = 2;
    determine which sheet, or combination of sheets, will produce a parallel plate capacitor of
    the largest capacitance when placed between the copper sheets. Assume that all sheets
    have the same shape.

Relevant equations that I have are:
    C=(kappa)(epsilon)(Area)/(Distance)
    V=V[initial]/kappa
    but there are probably plenty more. I have equations for potential energy and such, but I'm not sure if they are necessary for the question.

attempt at a solution

Well as I said, I am completely stumped. I can calculate the capacitance of each dielectric on its own in the capacitor, but the combination ones are the ones I'm stuck with. This is what I've got so far {probably way off track}.

C[mica] = 6(epsilon)(area)/0.1x10^-3
    C[glass] = 7(epsilon)(area)/2x10^-3
    C[wax] = 2(epsilon)(area)/0.01

Can I ignore epsilon and area because they are common in all the equations?

for the dielectrics next to each other;

C[effective] = C[no dielectric]*k[1]*k[2]

This is most likely wrong. I know that for one dielectric, you can simply say that C[effective] = C[no dielectric]*k
    where k = kappa

But I simply don't know how to derive a formula for multiple dielectrics.

Also, I do have knowledge of the theory of how dielectrics work, ie. how they generate opposing electric fields to that of the capacitor, but I am still 100% stuck with this question..

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    If you have multiple sheets of dielectric stacked on each other, you can imagine that each sheet is a distinct capacitor and these capacitors are connected in series. The total capacitance C is then

[tex]\frac{1}{C} = \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{C_n}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?