Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple events and using bayes theorem

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I am not sure if I am doing this correctly, so please check my attempt:

I have four discrete random variables: G, H, J, L

Say, I want to find P(H|J, G, L).

Then can I write as P(H|J, G, L) = P(J, G, L|H)*P(H) = P(J|G, L, H)*P(G|L, H)*P(L|H)*P(H)

Are those equivalent? I can't find an example exactly like this one; I just want to make sure that it works this way. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

No. P(J,G,L | H) P(H) is equal to P(H,J,G,L), which is not the same as P(H|J,G,L)

[tex] P(H| J \cap G \cap L) = \frac{ P(H \cap J \cap G \cap L)}{P( J \cap G \cap L)} [/tex]

There are various ways to rewrite the right hand side.

For example, the numerator can be written as:

[tex] P( H \cap J \cap G \cap L) = P(H | J \cap G \cap L) P(J \cap G \cap L) [/tex]
    [tex] = P(H| J \cap G \cap L) P(J | G \cap L) P(G \cap L) [/tex]
    [tex] = P(H| J \cap G \cap L) P(J | G \cap L) P(G | L) P(L) [/tex]

which is similar to what you had in mind. You could also write it as you did, with P(H) as the last factor.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Ok, I see how it unfolds now.

One of the reasons I wanted to get my final form is that I only have a distribution for P(H), P(J|H), P(G|L,H), and P(L|H) and there is a conditional independence assumption that P(J|H)=P(J|G,L,H).

So, I need to find P(H|J, G, L) in terms of those.

If I were to follow your steps to solve for P(H|J, G, L), would it look something like:

P(H|J, G, L) = P(H, J, G, L) / ((P(H|J, G, L)*P(J|G, L)*P(G|L)*P(L))

I'm not sure how to proceed at that point..

Thanks for the help, I hope I can wrap my head around this.

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I think you need more information to calculate P(H| J, G, L). You need to be able to calculate P(J,G,L) without the condition that the event H is true. If you know the problem has an answer, think about whether there is other known information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook