Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple properties and property combinations

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    Here's something I know there must be a way to easily figure out... but not by me!

THE QUESTION...
    if I have x number of categories to choose from, how many combinations can I get?

for example I think that if I had 4 categories there are 15 possible combinations

categories A, B, C, D

combinations:
    A
    B
    C
    D
    AB
    AC
    AD
    ABC
    ABCD
    BC
    BCD
    CD
    ACD
    ABD
    BD

Am I missing any?

so if 4 yeilds 15

5 yields ?
    6 yields ?

I'm know a pattern develops but how does it work? Sorry I've been out of school for so long and I don't know where to begin.:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The number of subsets, of a finite set with n members, is 2n including the empty set. Omiting the empty set leaves 2n-1, which is what you got.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks Mathman. I knew it was some sort of sequence - 1. I just can't remember all that math I used to be so good at. Maybe I should dig up some old notes and give my brain a workout with a refresher. Hell I can't even remember my simple trig anymore :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?