Problem #422: Four Non-Negative Real Numbers and a Unique Condition

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the problem statement for Problem #422 is to find a unique condition that is satisfied by four non-negative real numbers. The non-negative real numbers are important because they represent numbers that are greater than or equal to zero, simplifying the problem. There can only be one solution to this problem, as stated. Possible techniques for solving this problem include algebraic manipulation, substitution, and creating a system of equations. Additionally, this problem can be solved using computer programming, with languages like Python or Java being helpful due to their built-in functions for working with real numbers.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let $a,\,b,\,c$ and $d$ be four non-negative real numbers satisfying the condition

$2(ab+ac+ad+bc+bd+cd)+abc+abd+acd+bcd=16$

Prove that

$a+b+c+d\ge \dfrac{2}{3}(ab+ac+ad+bc+bd+cd)$

and determine when equality occurs.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered last week's POTW. (Sadface)

You can find the suggested solution as follows:
For $i= 1,\,2,\,3$, define $s_i$ as the average of the products of the i-element subsets of ${a,b,c,d}$. Then we must show

$3s_2+s_3=4\implies s_1\ge s_2$.

It suffices to prove the (unconstrained) homogeneous inequality

$3s_2^2s_1^2+s_3s_1^3\ge 4s_2^3$,

as then $3s_2+2_3=4$ will imply $(s_1-s_2)^3+3(s_1^3-s_2^3)\ge 0$.

We now recall two basic inequalities about symmetric means of non-negative real numbers. The first is Schur's inequality:

$3s_1^3+s_3\ge 4s_1s_2$,

while the second,

$s_1^2\ge s_2$ is a case of Maclaurin's inequality $s_i^{i+1}\ge s_{i+1}^i$.

These combine to prove the claim:

$3s_2^2s_1^2+s_3s_1^3\ge 3s_2^2s_1^2+\dfrac{s_2^2s_3}{s_1}\ge 4s_2^3$

Finally, for those who have only seen Schur's inequality in three variables, note that in general any inequality involving $s_1,\cdot,s_k$ which holds for $n\ge k$ variables also holds for $n+1$ variables, by replacing the variables $x_1,\cdots,x_{n+1}$ by the roots of the derivative of the polynomial $(x-x_1)\cdots (x-x_{n+1})$.

1. What is "Problem #422" about?

Problem #422 is a mathematical problem that involves four non-negative real numbers and a unique condition that must be satisfied.

2. What is the unique condition in Problem #422?

The unique condition in Problem #422 is that the sum of the four non-negative real numbers must be equal to 1.

3. What is the purpose of this problem?

The purpose of this problem is to challenge individuals to find a set of four non-negative real numbers that satisfy the unique condition, and to explore the mathematical concepts and techniques involved in solving such a problem.

4. Can there be more than one solution to Problem #422?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to Problem #422. As long as the four non-negative real numbers satisfy the unique condition of having a sum of 1, they can be considered valid solutions.

5. How can I approach solving Problem #422?

There are various approaches that can be used to solve Problem #422, including algebraic manipulation, graphical representation, and trial and error. It is important to carefully consider the unique condition and use mathematical principles to find a solution.