Multiple Questions — Evaluating the graph of this polynomial

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a math problem involving graphs and functions. They were able to solve one part of the problem but are stuck on another part. The other person suggests starting with the first part and clarifies the meaning of a key word. The person then figures out the answer to the first part and moves on to the next part. They get stuck again and the other person suggests using a specific point on the graph to figure out the missing variable. The person is still confused and asks for further clarification.
Marso
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
So essentially I have a math test tomorrow and I was out sick for the past week and now I am unable to really understand what is going on in the attached screenshots. I am attempting the first one yet I keep getting the incorrect answer. Any assistance to any of the questions would be much appreciated!
Relevant Equations
N/A
872861D0-2EB2-40FB-88F1-DEF117D8BD12.jpeg
E79701CF-5A1F-44EC-A146-EB1E4F696DA1.jpeg

61E8B8E3-17BC-494B-B4EA-8059F4F4CC2C.jpeg
5D1C5E65-C730-4A25-AAC4-CE17F281CAC1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far that gives you the wrong answer?

Office_Shredder said:
What have you tried so far that gives you the wrong answer?
For the graph one I genuinely have no idea. I actually was able to solve the one with the form and factor however I remain stuck on the proportion of population and graph problems.

You said you kept trying the first one and getting the wrong answer. What wrong answer did you get? How did you get it?

If you haven't been able to make any progress, maybe let's just start with the first part then. What does the word "root" mean there?

Office_Shredder said:
You said you kept trying the first one and getting the wrong answer. What wrong answer did you get? How did you get it?

If you haven't been able to make any progress, maybe let's just start with the first part then. What does the word "root" mean there?
Would the root be where the function is equal to zero?

So how do you find where the function is equal to zero on the graph?

It would be 2,5. Sorry I just realized how slow my brain is functioning right now.

How do you do the next part then?

Office_Shredder said:
How do you do the next part then?
Alright I was able to get (II) but I don’t know how to get (iii)

The answer to ii is used to get iii, so why don't you tell us what you got?

Office_Shredder said:
The answer to ii is used to get iii, so why don't you tell us what you got?
I got f(x)=p(x-2)(x-5)^2

So can you expand that to figure out what a, b, c and d are? The only thing you need to do is figure out what p is. There's one point on the graph you haven't used yet that you can use to figure out p.

Office_Shredder said:
So can you expand that to figure out what a, b, c and d are? The only thing you need to do is figure out what p is. There's one point on the graph you haven't used yet that you can use to figure out p.
Would that be (3,8)? Sorry but could you explain how I can figure out p and expand? I’m sorry I am just pretty confused.

I guess let's start by figuring out p. Yes, try plugging in (3,8) and see what it gives you

Likes SammyS

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also include exponents, but not division or radical expressions.

2. How do you graph a polynomial?

To graph a polynomial, you can use a coordinate plane and plot points based on the given values of the variables. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to create a visual representation of the polynomial.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because it is the highest exponent.

4. How do you determine the end behavior of a polynomial?

The end behavior of a polynomial can be determined by looking at the leading term (the term with the highest degree). If the leading term is positive, the graph will go up on both ends. If the leading term is negative, the graph will go down on both ends.

5. What is the purpose of evaluating the graph of a polynomial?

Evaluating the graph of a polynomial allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the polynomial, such as its degree, end behavior, and roots. It also helps us to visualize the relationship between the variables and coefficients in the expression.