Multiple variables - check understanding

In summary, the function g(x,y) = 3x^2-x-y+y^2 has to be analyzed on the domain D = [0,1] x [0,1] to find its minimum and maximum values. This can be done by checking the end points (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), and (1,1), as well as the critical points where the gradient is equal to zero. In this case, there are a total of nine points to check, including the critical point (1/6,1/2) and the four boundary points where x=0, y=0, x=1, and y=1. If the gradient is something like (
Niles

Homework Statement

A function g(x,y) = 3x^2-x-y+y^2. I have to find the minimum and maximum of the function on D = [0,1] x [0,1].

The Attempt at a Solution

First I have to check the ends; I mean (0,0), (0,1), (1,0) and (1,1). I also have to check the points, where the gradient is zero: (1/6,1/2).

I insert x = 0, x = 1, y = 0 and y = 1 in g(x,y) and differentiate and equal to zero - then I have 4 new poins to check.

I also insert x = 1/6 and y = 1/2 and do the same as above.

So totally I have 11 points to check?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I get nine points:

1. The critical point for the open domain (0,1)*(0,1), that is (1/6,1/2)

2. The four critical points for the function evaluated at the four boundary lines x=0, y=0, x=1 and y=1

3. The four end points of the boundary lines, i.e, the corners (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1).

Ok, so I do not need to insert the critical points and evaluate them (diff. and equal zero)?

What if the gradient is something like (2x-1,1) - then only x = 0 and there's no critical points. Do I have to evaluate x = 0?

Thank you for a quick respond!

What is the definition of multiple variables?

Multiple variables refer to a collection of two or more variables that are being studied simultaneously in a scientific experiment or research project.

Why is it important to check understanding of multiple variables?

Checking understanding of multiple variables is important in order to accurately interpret and analyze the data collected in a study. It helps to identify any potential relationships or patterns between the variables and ensures the validity and reliability of the results.

What are some common methods for checking understanding of multiple variables?

Some common methods for checking understanding of multiple variables include correlation analysis, regression analysis, and ANOVA (Analysis of Variance). These methods help to determine the strength and direction of relationships between variables.

What are some potential challenges when working with multiple variables?

Some potential challenges when working with multiple variables include confounding variables, which are variables that may influence the relationship between the variables being studied, and limitations in the sample size or data collected.

How can a scientist effectively manage multiple variables in a study?

A scientist can effectively manage multiple variables in a study by clearly defining and operationalizing the variables, using appropriate statistical techniques, and controlling for potential confounding variables. It is also important to carefully plan the study design and ensure accurate and reliable data collection methods.