1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication tables of rings

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    construct a multiplication table for the ring Z[tex]_{3}[/tex][[tex]\alpha[/tex]], [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + 1(bar) = 0(bar)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm actually confused on how to find the elements of the ring. My book and notes have thrown me off a bit and I can't find them. Hint: there are 9 elements

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    I think for advanced courses like yours it might help me and others if you remind us of what things like (bar) mean

and do you mean by Z^3 actually Z_3 or ZxZxZ or something completely different outside my knowledge?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    yea sorry the text editor on here sucks....it is supposed to be Z_3 (which is what i put) and (bar) refers to being part of that equivalence class so 1 bar is ...-2,1,4,7... and 0 bar is ...-6,-3,0,3,6... for the integer set Z_3 so the congruent mod 3.

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then, strictly speaking, each member of Z3[/sup] is an equivalence class, each class containing exactly one non-negative integer less than 3. That is, there is an equivalence class containing 0, and equivalence class containing 1, and an equivalence class containing 2. That is, I presume, what you mean by [itex]\bar{0}[/itex], [itex]\bar{1}[/itex], and [itex]\bar{2}[/itex]. Since that does NOT have 9 members. Am I to assume that you mean the set of all numbers of the form [itex]a\alpha+ b[/itex] where a and b are in Z3 and [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies the equation above? That has nine members: 0, 1, 2, [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\alpha+ 1[/itex], [itex]\alpha+ 2[/itex], [itex]2\alpha[/itex], [itex]2\alpha+ 1[/itex], and [itex]2\alpha+ 2[/itex].

Set up your table so it has those both along the top and verticaclly on the left. Multiply each of the 81 pairs and reduce to one of those 9 forms by using the equation [itex]\alpha[/itex] satisfies. For example, [itex]\left(\alpha+ 1\right)\left(2\alpha+ 1\right)= 2\alpha^2+ 3\alpha+ 1[/itex]. Since [itex]\alpha^2+ 1= 0[/itex], [itex]\alpha^2= -1[/itex]. Of course, 3 is equivalent to 0 mod 3 so this reduces to [itex]-2+ 1= -1[/itex] which is 2 mod 3:[itex]\left(\alpha+ 1\right)\left(2\alpha+ 1\right)= 2[/itex].

No, the LaTex editor here does not "suck" but it is a bad idea to try to combine both LaTex and non-LaTex in the same formula: use LaTex for the entire formula.

6. Oct 17, 2008 #5
    awesome thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?