1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplicity of Macrostates, involving dice

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    I didn't really know where the proper place was for this, but this is an intro thermodynamics class and I'm really confused over this math question (it's not strictly physics-related).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider rolling N six-sided dice. Define a microstate as the number showing on any given die, and the macrostate be the sum across all of the dice. Let n be the macrostate. Find a general formula for the multiplicity of any pair (N, n).

2. Relevant equations

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I know that for N oscillators in an Einstein solid and q units of energy, the multiplicity of (N, q) is (q+N-1) choose q.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know a few features the formula must have. If n < N or n > 6N, it must resolve to 0. If n = N or n = 6N, then it must resolve to 1. I know it has to be symmetrical about 3.5N. I have a chart for N = 2, so I know all of the values for all pairs (2, n). I have to imagine that it's related to probabilities, so it's presumably some combination of factorials, permutations, and/or combinations.

I tried to treat it as an Einstein solid with n units of energy. Knowing that each die has to have at least 1 unit of energy, that means that the q in the formula given would actually be n-N. This didn't give me the right answer though since it allows a die to have a value of n that's greater than 6. I just am having a really tough time figuring out how to build a formula to match the constraints that I know it must have, and at this point I'm completely lost.

Thanks for the help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
  4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    For large N I think there is a geometrical solution to this, see the attached.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    Sorry, I don't see how any of this is supposed to help me. I just don't understand what you're getting at.

6. Sep 20, 2011 #5
    I'm sure your professor would be more than happy to help! ;0)

-- Prof. Lyman

7. Sep 20, 2011 #6
    This problem is pretty hard and I think post #3 has the right idea. Perhaps it is easier to calculate the "volume" under the bounding surface (In N = 2, "volume" is area and "bounding surface" is a line) and then you can differentiate w.r.t. n). Your problem will be to evaluate N-dimensional volumes. I think you can use some recursion.

8. Sep 22, 2011 #7
    Hahahaha...this is great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook