Simon Bridge said:
you can halve your work by noticing that some are the negative of another
eg:
- + - + - + is (-1)^n
+ - + - + - = -1x(- + - + - +) is -(-1)^n = (-1)^(n+1) = (-1)^(n-1)
Yup, we sure can. I suppose adding in my last line on my post was a bit redundant.
The first set can obviously be done with the old standby
(-1)^n to get,
- + - + - +...
and
(-1)^(n+1) or -(-1)^n to get the opposite set,
+ - + - + -...
as you had suggested.
For the - - + + - - + +... I came up with this,
i^(n(n+1))
The negative of course will give + + - - + + - -...
For those last two in my post it took a bit of work to derive but the final form is,
+/- (ni^(n(n+1))+n(-1)^n+1) / ((ni^(n(n+1))+n(-1)^n+1)^2)^(1/2)
to get + - - - + - - - +... and the - + + + - + + + -... depending on the sign
That was a fun solution to get as I used whole numbers to get the sign pattern and then simply divided by the square root of that quantity squared for each term to get back to '1' or '-1'. The '+1' in each term was to eliminate the '0's'
The problem I face now is there are no combinations of these forms that will yield something different. If I can get to say + + + - - - + + +... then that will give some room for manipulation. I have also been working on + - - - + - - - + by trying to eliminate the middle positive so we would instead have + - - - - - - - +... (the negative being just the opposite sign).
What do we currently have in mathematics? Or do you have any techniques of your own?