1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplying a Vector Product by Another Vector

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question asks to calculate (AxBC, where A's magnitude is 5.00, B's magnitude is 4.00, and they are both in the xy-plane. B is 37° counter clockwise from A. C has a magnitude of 6.00 and is in the +z-direction.

2. Relevant equations

(A×B) = ABsinθ = D; D·C = DCcosσ = R

3. The attempt at a solution

(A×B) = 5×4×sin37° = 12.363 = D. D·C = 12.363×6.00×sin90° = 72.2 = R which is the correct answer. But doesn't the dot in (A×BC imply a scalar product in which case the last part should be 12.363×6.00×cos90°?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Does the cross product yield a vector or a scalar?

4. Jan 9, 2013 #3
    You mean to say that [itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B} = (5)(4)(sin37°) \widehat{n}[/itex], where n-hat is the unit vector orthogonal to both vectors.

5. Jan 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and don't forget to use the right-hand rule to get the direction of the product in relation to the z axis sign.

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    I don't know. It just asks to calculate (A×BC with the values that I gave above.

7. Jan 9, 2013 #6
    We haven't seen that n yet, so I don't think we are suppose to use it in this question.

8. Jan 9, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mandelbroth just means n to be the direction that AxB points. You have to know that to find the angle between AxB and C. How is the direction AxB points related to the directions A and B point?

9. Jan 9, 2013 #8
    It would be in the positive direction, but isn't A×B perpindicular to C either way? And why does the answer seem to use sin90° instead of cos90°; doesn't the function (·) mean a scalar product?

10. Jan 9, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by positive direction? Which positive? C points in the positive z direction. Which positive direction does AxB point? I don't think they are perpendicular. If the answer says sin(90), it really shouldn't. That's misleading. The answer should contain a cos. cos of what?

11. Jan 9, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By definition, AxB is perpendicular to both A and B. What does that tell you about its direction in relation to C?

12. Jan 9, 2013 #11
    Ah, I got it now. Oh ya, and the answer did not have sin90°, I just fudged that in there to try to make sense of it all, but I realize now that it is cos0° - thanks.

13. Jan 9, 2013 #12
    Thanks, I go it now.

14. Jan 9, 2013 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, but just to check... why cos(0) and not cos(180 degrees)?

15. Jan 10, 2013 #14
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. Jan 10, 2013 #15

CAF123

Gold Member

@Puky The question haruspex asked was directed towards the OP to check his understanding.

17. Jan 10, 2013 #16
    My mistake, I thought it was the OP who asked that question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook