Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number

1. Nov 4, 2017 #1

dyn

Hi.
    Is the wavefunction for x≤0 , ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx equivalent to ψ(x) = -sinkx - acoskx where a is a constant ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, and you didn't multiply ψ by a constant number to get the second expression.

4. Nov 4, 2017 #3
    How to multiply wavefunction with a constant ? Could anyone please tell...thanks

5. Nov 4, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Write cψ instead of ψ. There, you multiplied ψ by a constant c.

6. Nov 4, 2017 #5
    Thank you could you give an example? Thanks

7. Nov 5, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I just gave you an example. Please don’t derail this thread with your own questions, better start a new one.

8. Nov 5, 2017 #7

dyn

Just so I make sure I understand this properly and I will use kets instead please tell me which of the following examples are equivalent to the ket
    | u > + | v >

1. a ( | u > + | v > ) where a is any number ( real or complex)
    2. | u > + ( a | v > )
    3 . e-ix ( | u > + | v > )
    4. | u > + ( e-ix | v > )

9. Nov 5, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

They are all different, but the first one is proportional to the initial one. For the third one it depends on what x is. If it refers to a spatial variable then it is not constant, if it is just some constant it is constant.

10. Nov 6, 2017 #9

dyn

Thanks. Regarding the 1st example if it is proportional to the initial example is it not considered an equivalent wavefunction ?
    My confusion arises because I have come across the following statement " multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number or a phase doesn't change the wavefunction"

11. Nov 6, 2017 #10

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Where did you come across this statement? Can you give a specific reference?

12. Nov 6, 2017 #11

dyn

The exact statement in some lecture notes from MIT is " ψ and αψ represent the same physics for any complex number α different from zero , so
    | A > ≅ 2 | A > ≅ i | A > ≅ - | A > where ≅ represents physical equivalence "

13. Nov 6, 2017 #12

mfb

2016 Award

It leads to the same predictions for observable events if you take care of normalization.

14. Nov 8, 2017 #13
    Perhaps you meant: ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx equivalent to ψ(x) = -sinkx + acoskx
    (negative negative = plus)

If you change the overall scaling and phase of everything in the whole system equally, it makes no difference to the system. But if you change the phase of one wavefunction with respect to another wavefunction, this will change the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted