Multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of two wavefunctions, ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx and ψ(x) = -sinkx + acoskx, where a is a constant. The experts explain that changing the overall scaling and phase of the wavefunctions will not affect the system, but changing the phase of one wavefunction in relation to another will. They provide examples and references to support this concept.
dyn
Hi.
Is the wavefunction for x≤0 , ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx equivalent to ψ(x) = -sinkx - acoskx where a is a constant ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, and you didn't multiply ψ by a constant number to get the second expression.

How to multiply wavefunction with a constant ? Could anyone please tell...thanks

Write cψ instead of ψ. There, you multiplied ψ by a constant c.

Likes Aditya77777
Thank you could you give an example? Thanks

I just gave you an example. Please don’t derail this thread with your own questions, better start a new one.

Just so I make sure I understand this properly and I will use kets instead please tell me which of the following examples are equivalent to the ket
| u > + | v >

1. a ( | u > + | v > ) where a is any number ( real or complex)
2. | u > + ( a | v > )
3 . e-ix ( | u > + | v > )
4. | u > + ( e-ix | v > )

They are all different, but the first one is proportional to the initial one. For the third one it depends on what x is. If it refers to a spatial variable then it is not constant, if it is just some constant it is constant.

Thanks. Regarding the 1st example if it is proportional to the initial example is it not considered an equivalent wavefunction ?
My confusion arises because I have come across the following statement " multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number or a phase doesn't change the wavefunction"

dyn said:
I have come across the following statement " multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number or a phase doesn't change the wavefunction"

Where did you come across this statement? Can you give a specific reference?

The exact statement in some lecture notes from MIT is " ψ and αψ represent the same physics for any complex number α different from zero , so
| A > ≅ 2 | A > ≅ i | A > ≅ - | A > where ≅ represents physical equivalence "

It leads to the same predictions for observable events if you take care of normalization.

Likes dyn
dyn said:
Is the wavefunction for x≤0 , ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx equivalent to ψ(x) = -sinkx - acoskx where a is a constant ?
Perhaps you meant: ψ(x) = sinkx - acoskx equivalent to ψ(x) = -sinkx + acoskx
(negative negative = plus)

If you change the overall scaling and phase of everything in the whole system equally, it makes no difference to the system. But if you change the phase of one wavefunction with respect to another wavefunction, this will change the system.

Likes dyn

1. What is the purpose of multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number?

Multiplying a wavefunction by a constant number is a mathematical operation that is commonly used to adjust the amplitude or intensity of a wavefunction. This can be useful in various scientific applications such as signal processing or quantum mechanics.

2. How does multiplying a wavefunction by a constant affect the shape of the wavefunction?

Multiplying a wavefunction by a constant will not change the shape of the wavefunction. It will only change the amplitude or intensity of the wavefunction, while the shape remains the same.

3. Is there a limit to the constant number that can be multiplied to a wavefunction?

No, there is no limit to the constant number that can be multiplied to a wavefunction. However, the value of the constant may affect the overall behavior of the wavefunction.

4. Can multiplying a wavefunction by a constant change the frequency or wavelength of the wave?

No, multiplying a wavefunction by a constant will not change the frequency or wavelength of the wave. These properties are determined by the physical system and are not affected by mathematical operations.

5. What are the implications of multiplying a wavefunction by a complex constant?

Multiplying a wavefunction by a complex constant can have significant implications in quantum mechanics. It can introduce a phase shift, which can affect the interference patterns and overall behavior of the wavefunction.