Multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors

In summary, Michael Artin states that the formulas for multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors are:eijej = eiand eijek = 0 if j ≠ kI understand from the previous page that the matrix unit eij has a 1 in the ij position as its only non-zero entry and based on an example from the previous page, you can show a standard m x n matrix as a linear combination that includes eij.My confusion is in figuring out what the ei and ej are in the above formula. The bottom of the previous page discusses a column vector ei but I wasn't sure how to connect this vector to the above formula or how I should multiply it with eij to get
bekkilyn
Hello all, I don't have a question on homework specifically, but I need clarification on something I'm reading in the textbook.

I will be starting an abstract algebra class in the spring and it's been quite a few years since I've had linear algebra, so I'll be reviewing that material before the abstract algebra class starts. I've also started the first chapter of the book, Algebra, by Michael Artin. So far, I've been able to make sense of most of what I've read, but I'm stuck on this one formula at the top of page 10.

He states that the formulas for multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors are:

eijej = ei

and

eijek = 0 if j ≠ k

I understand from the previous page that the matrix unit eij has a 1 in the ij position as its only non-zero entry and based on an example from the previous page, you can show a standard m x n matrix as a linear combination that includes eij.

My confusion is in figuring out what the ei and ej are in the above formula. The bottom of the previous page discusses a column vector ei but I wasn't sure how to connect this vector to the above formula or how I should multiply it with eij to get ej.

Maybe if I saw a couple of concrete examples of what ei and ej are as compared with eij, it would help me clear up this confusion.

Thanks for any help on this question!

Physics news on Phys.org
##e_{i}## is a column vector with 1 in the ##i##th row, and zeros everywhere else.

Simple example with a 4x4 matrix and 4x1 vectors:

$$\left(\begin{array}{cccc}0&0&0&0\\
0&0&1&0\\
0&0&0&0\\
0&0&0&0\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\0\\1\\0\end{array}\right) =
\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\0\\0\end{array}\right)$$
which is the same as ##e_{23} e_3 = e_2##

bekkilyn said:
My confusion is in figuring out what the ei and ej are in the above formula. The bottom of the previous page discusses a column vector ei but I wasn't sure how to connect this vector to the above formula or how I should multiply it with eij to get ej.
They're vectors. In particular, they are column vectors. Right up front, Artin defines vectors as being either equivalent to a 1xn or an nx1 matrix. Think of ej as meaning ej1, with the column index of 1 implied by the fact that this N vector is equivalent to an Nx1 matrix.

Thank you both! The matrix example and the additional column vector description was very helpful as I can now picture what's going on and how the matrix and vectors are indexed in reference to each other. Much clearer now!

1. What is the purpose of multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors?

The purpose of multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors is to perform linear transformations on vector spaces. This can be used to represent and solve a variety of mathematical and scientific problems.

2. How do you multiply matrix units and standard basis vectors?

To multiply matrix units and standard basis vectors, you multiply each element in the standard basis vector by the corresponding column in the matrix unit. Then, you add these products together to get the final result.

3. What are the properties of multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors?

The properties of multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors include distributivity, associativity, and the identity property. These properties allow for easier manipulation and calculation of linear transformations.

4. What are some real-world applications of multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors?

Multiplying matrix units and standard basis vectors has many real-world applications, including image and signal processing, computer graphics, and data compression. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve various problems.

5. Can matrix units and standard basis vectors be multiplied in any order?

Yes, matrix units and standard basis vectors can be multiplied in any order as long as the dimensions of the matrices and vectors are compatible. However, the order of multiplication may affect the final result, so it is important to pay attention to the order of operations.