Multiplying wavefunction with complexnumber.

olgerm
Gold Member
Is it true that by multiplying wavefunction with arbitrary complexnumber, which module is 1, results another wavefunction, that has same physical meaning? aka ##\forall_\phi(\Psi\ has\ the\ same\ meaning\ as\ \Psi \cdot e^{i \cdot \phi})##
If not please give me an example of wavefunction and ##\phi## where it does not.

Answers and Replies

Metmann
##\Psi## and ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## represent the same state since ##|\Psi|^2## is the central quantity that characterizes the state.

olgerm
Gold Member
##\Psi## and ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## represent the same state since ##|\Psi|^2## is the central quantity that characterizes the state.
Yes, but does ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## satisfy Schrödinger equation with same potentialenergy function ##U(t;\vec X)## as ##\Psi##?

Metmann
Yes, but does ##e^{i\phi}\Psi## satisfy Schrödinger equation with same potentialenergy function ##U(t;\vec X)## as ##\Psi##?
Sure. The Schrödinger equation is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear on both sides, hence the phase drops out. In fact all quantum mechanics is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear, hence the physical space of states is the projective Hilbert space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and olgerm
Yea - all true.

Why - because states are not really members of a Hilbert space - they are really positive operators of unit trace. Such operators of the form |u><u| are called pure and can be mapped to the underlying space the operator is defined on by simply using the u - but note if you multiply |u> by a complex number of unit length to get |u'> |u><u| = |u'><u'| - that's why it is invariant to phase. In general any positive operator of unit trace can be put in the form (not necessarily uniquely BTW which has implications for the decoherence program in explaining the measurement problem I will not go into here - start another thread if interested) as U=∑pi |ui><ui| where pi are positive and sum to 1. These are called mixed states. The Born Rule then becomes the expected value of an observable O, E(O), is E(O) = trace (OU) where U is the systems state and show the pi in fact are the probability of Iui><ui| in the mixture.

In fact due to a very famous theorem by the mathematician Gleason it can be deduced from more fundamental assumptions - see post 137:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-born-rule-in-many-worlds.763139/page-7

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
DrClaude
Mentor
Why don't you try it yourself? Write down the Schrödinger equation for ##\Psi##, make the substitution ##\Psi \rightarrow ^{i\phi}\Psi##, and see if anything changes.

Likes vanhees71, Metmann and Vanadium 50
Sure. The Schrödinger equation is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear on both sides, hence the phase drops out. In fact all quantum mechanics is ##\mathbb{C}##-linear, hence the physical space of states is the projective Hilbert space.
Yes. I think there have been some efforts in the 90s to find deviations where you have a term in the Schrödinger equation that acts on the wave function squared, but they were essentially abandoned because people could not really agree on what would happen then and how it could be seen experimentally. The linearity is really extremely fundamental to our understanding of QM.

Likes Metmann
olgerm
Gold Member
By degrees of freedom, any wavefunction should be unambiguously descriptive by one real-valued function , that has 4 arguments.
##f(t,\vec X)##