Multipurpose software that keeps C, Python, DSP, .... in the same file

In summary, a source control system and Perl programs are not the best options for this task. I recommend using MatDeck which is a script-based data acquisition software.
JayZ0198
TL;DR Summary
Does anyone know a software that host programming, DSP, diagrams, text editing,... in the same file. A sort of all purpose software in the same file.
I’ve been looking for a certain type of software that can host programming (preferably C or Python) and other process that I’m going to need such as DSP, DSP filters, diagrams (3D graphs, charts,…), and text editing within the same file. It’s mainly so that I can incorporate and use each one with the other, being able to use code in conjunction with a certain filter would be a big help when I’m dealing with DSP. I want text editing mainly because then I can actually make notes and paragraphs regarding the processes that I’m doing. This is going to prove useful, I can make sense of the work I’m doing and order it chronologically so that I can organize my thoughts. I can use Maple for the math’s and graphs, a IDE for the code, and Word for the text side of things but, my issue with this is that it’s all separated to loads of different corners and not together like I would like it to be.

Overall, my main questions are:
  • Does anyone know software or something else that is similar that can do this?
  • Can it be open source or will it have to cost? If so, how much?
  • Less or more expensive than the ones I mentioned?
  • Is it any good?

Technology news on Phys.org
I have, on occasion, used Perl programs which wrote code of other languages into temporary files and called the programs that executed those files.

I advise anyone who does that to use the Perl features that are intended for that and to not write it as though it is a C program. C-like code for that task becomes ugly fast.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
JayZ0198 said:
It’s mainly so that I can incorporate and use each one with the other, being able to use code in conjunction with a certain filter would be a big help when I’m dealing with DSP. I want text editing mainly because then I can actually make notes and paragraphs regarding the processes that I’m doing.
The compilers and other tools will not be able to deal with the other information in this single "metafile", so you will constantly be cutting/pasting the sub-sections into other temporary files in order to build the different pieces of your projects.

Instead, consider learning to use a Source Control system as part of using your tools. Some examples are Perforce and Bitbucket. You can often integrate your different tools (like MS Visual Studio, etc.) with the Source Control tool, which helps to give you a better overall project organization.

Your text files and other files will be in different folders (or repositories, etc.), but all are accessible from the overall Source Control project.

https://www.perforce.com/
https://bitbucket.org/product

Most scripting languages allow some form of "here documents" where commands of other languages can be fed into programs from the script file.

Source control is a good idea and using Perl programs is not a bad shout either but I would recommend using MatDeck. The main disadvantage of using Perl programs and a source control system is that you will be able to perform those different processes close together but you won’t be able to do them in conjunction to each other. What I mean by this is you won’t be able to do your code, text and diagrams together and use each one with the other. This is why I recommend using MatDeck instead because it pretty much does the opposite of this. It has a sort of main housing file format which means you can put code, text, diagrams and other features you need together and use them in conjunction with each other which is neat. However, it is not open-source but, it doesn’t cost as much as other similar software’s so affording it shouldn’t be a problem. Like LabVIEW and Matlab, it does come with DSP features such as filters, toolkits, waveform generators… which you may find useful.

The MatDeck script that comes with the software is similar to normal C code and has similar executions speeds. The code is pretty standard and case sensitive. It does also come with in-built Python which is placed in the file like a text box for Python code. Narrative text editing like paragraphs to “organize your thoughts” is available and very similar to Microsoft Word. I’m not sure if this applies to your case but, you can also attach hardware to it for data acquisition if you need. I recommend using this cause it will take you less time to get familiar with MatDeck than a source control system or Pearl program and there are additional features (math engine, data acquisition, parallel pc processing …) that you may like.

SteveRowT said:
The main disadvantage of using Perl programs and a source control system is that you will be able to perform those different processes close together but you won’t be able to do them in conjunction to each other.
I am not familiar with MatDeck. From a brief look at youtube videos, it looks like a system for data analysis and presentation, similar to MATLAB, R, MathCad, SAS, etc. They all have their own language or interface and capabilities. That might be what the OP is asking for.

JayZ0198 said:
Summary: Does anyone know a software that host programming, DSP, diagrams, text editing,... in the same file. A sort of all purpose software in the same file.

I’ve been looking for a certain type of software that can host programming (preferably C or Python) and other process that I’m going to need such as DSP, DSP filters, diagrams (3D graphs, charts,…), and text editing within the same file. It’s mainly so that I can incorporate and use each one with the other, being able to use code in conjunction with a certain filter would be a big help when I’m dealing with DSP. I want text editing mainly because then I can actually make notes and paragraphs regarding the processes that I’m doing. This is going to prove useful, I can make sense of the work I’m doing and order it chronologically so that I can organize my thoughts. I can use Maple for the math’s and graphs, a IDE for the code, and Word for the text side of things but, my issue with this is that it’s all separated to loads of different corners and not together like I would like it to be.

Overall, my main questions are:
  • Does anyone know software or something else that is similar that can do this?
  • Can it be open source or will it have to cost? If so, how much?
  • Less or more expensive than the ones I mentioned?
  • Is it any good?

Jupyter notebook?
RMarkdown from R Studio?

1. What is multipurpose software?

Multipurpose software refers to a type of computer program that has multiple uses, functions, or capabilities. It can be used for various tasks and purposes, such as coding in different programming languages, digital signal processing, and more.

2. How does multipurpose software keep C, Python, and DSP in the same file?

Multipurpose software utilizes a single file structure that allows for the integration of different programming languages and functionalities. This means that you can write, edit, and run code in C, Python, and DSP within the same file, making it convenient and efficient for developers.

3. What are the benefits of using multipurpose software?

There are several benefits to using multipurpose software, including enhanced productivity and time efficiency. With all your coding needs in one program, you can save time and effort by not having to switch between different applications. Additionally, it allows for better organization and management of code, making it easier to collaborate with others.

4. Is multipurpose software suitable for all levels of coding proficiency?

Yes, multipurpose software is designed to cater to developers of all levels. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced programmer, you can use this type of software to write and execute code in various languages and perform different tasks.

5. Can I customize the features and functions of multipurpose software?

Yes, many multipurpose software programs offer customizable options, such as plugins and extensions, to enhance its capabilities. You can also personalize the interface and settings according to your preferences for a more tailored coding experience.