1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Multivariable Calc) Given four points, find a sphere . . . help me.

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the radius and center for the sphere determined by the four points
    (3,2,-1), (5,-2,1), (-3,1,2), (0,2,4).
    Give the exact location of the center but approximate the radius to the nearest 0.1.

2. Relevant equations
    Equation of a sphere: x2 + y2 + z2 + Gx +Hy +Iz +J = 0
    or C(h,k,l) (x-h)2 + (y-k)2 + (z-l)2 - r2 = 0

There's also a 5x5 matrix with the determinant equal to zero, but I have no idea how to use it (seen at line 29 here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sphere.html). I believe this is beyond 12.1 in multivariable calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use the determinant formula, but I got lost as I don't even know how to use it.

Is there any other way?

EDIT: Solved. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

(x-h)2 + (y-k)2 + (z-l)2 - r2 = 0

Using this, I'd just substitute the 4 coordinates to get me 4 equations with 4 unknowns in them. Then just use row reduction to get h,k,l and r

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3
    So I can substitute, then treat the different lines as a system of equations?

5. Aug 30, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

well your variables would be h2,k2,l2,r2 and not h,k,l,r like I previously said.

6. Aug 30, 2009 #5
    Alright I will try that. Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook