1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a locus of points, show that it is a circle (find its radius and center)

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    1. Suppose L is the line y=a. Show that the locus of points {1/z: z E(epsilon) L} is the circle of radius 1/(2a) with center at -i/(2a).

2. T(z)=(az+b)/(cz+d), ad != bc. T(z) is a linear fractional transformation. Linear fractional transformations take circles to circles, where the class of circles includes regular circles and straight lines.

Equation for circle on the rectangular plane: (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 where r is the radius and (a,b) is the center.

Equation for circle on the complex plane: |z-center|=radius, I think??

3. The preceding problem with my solution:
    Let C be the circle |z|=r. Show that the locus {1/z: z E(epsilon) C} is another circle with center at the origin. Find its radius.

Let z=a+bi.
    Given: |z|=r
    r=sqrt(a^2+b^2)

|1/z| = |1/(a+bi)| = |(a-bi)/(a^2+b^2)| = |a/(a^2+b^2) - ib/(a^2+b^2)| = sqrt{[a/(a^2+b^2)]^2 + [-b/(a^2+b^2)]^2} = sqrt[(a^2+b^2)/(a^2+b^2)^2] = sqrt[1/(a^2+b^2)] = 1/r, which is its radius.

I don't know how to show its center as the origin. Or even if I correctly found the radius here. The whole process of finding center and radius given a locus of points confuses me...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You found the radius by taking |1/z|, that is, the distance from the point 1/z to the origin. In other words, you have shown that the distance from any point to the origin is a constant. Doesn't that show that the locus is a circle with the origin as center?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?