Multivariable calculus line integral work

In summary, the work done by the force field $F(x,y)=(ye^{xy})i+(1+xe^{xy})j$ on a particle moving along the curve C described by gamma (γ):[0,1] in $R^2$, where gamma (γ)=(2t-1, t²-t) can be calculated using the formula: $$\int_\gamma \mathbf F(\mathbf s)\cdot d\mathbf s = \int_\gamma \mathbf F(\boldsymbol\gamma(t)) \cdot d\boldsymbol\gamma(t) = \int_0^1 \mathbf F(\boldsymbol\gamma(t))\cdot \boldsymbol\gamma'(t)\
kenporock
calculate the work done by the force field $F(x,y)=(ye^{xy})i+(1+xe^{xy})j$ by moving a particle along the curve C described by
gamma (γ):[0,1] in $R^2$, where gamma (γ)=(2t-1, t²-t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kenporock said:
calculate the work done by the force field $F(x,y)=(ye^{xy})i+(1+xe^{xy})j$ by moving a particle along the curve C described by
gamma (γ):[0,1] in $R^2$, where gamma (γ)=(2t-1, t²-t)

Hi kenporock,

The work is:
$$\int_\gamma \mathbf F(\mathbf s)\cdot d\mathbf s = \int_\gamma \mathbf F(\boldsymbol\gamma(t)) \cdot d\boldsymbol\gamma(t) =
\int_0^1 \mathbf F(\boldsymbol\gamma(t))\cdot \boldsymbol\gamma'(t)\, dt$$

But before we go there, weren't you studying conservative force fields?
Is this one?
That is, can we find a potential energy function $V(x,y)$ such that $\mathbf F(x,y)=\pd V x \mathbf i + \pd V y \mathbf j$?

I am extremely grateful to you.

1. What is a line integral in multivariable calculus?

A line integral in multivariable calculus is a type of integral that is used to calculate the work done by a force along a path in two or three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a vector field along a curve in space.

2. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A line integral is used to calculate the work done along a path in space, while a regular integral is used to find the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane. Line integrals also involve integrating vector fields, while regular integrals involve integrating scalar functions.

3. How is the work done in a line integral related to the concept of work in physics?

The work done in a line integral is directly related to the concept of work in physics. In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In a line integral, the vector field represents the force, and the curve represents the distance. Therefore, the line integral calculates the work done by a force along a path in space.

4. What is Green's theorem and how is it related to line integrals?

Green's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates a line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is related to line integrals because it provides a way to calculate a line integral by instead evaluating a double integral over a region, which can be easier to calculate.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals in multivariable calculus?

Line integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the work done by a force in physics, finding the circulation of a fluid in fluid mechanics, and determining the electric potential of a charged wire in electromagnetism. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.