Multivariable chain rule (with implicit variable)

I just remember that my prof mentioned something about it a while ago in class and I thought it might be useful to look at in this case.In summary, the conversation discusses using implicit differentiation to find the first partial derivative of T with respect to z. The necessary equations and attempts at a solution are provided. The expert explains the concept of implicit differentiation and dependency trees, and confirms that the attempted solution is correct.
Refraction

Homework Statement

If T is implicitly defined via the relationship f(x, y, z, T) = 0 to be a differentiable function of x, y and z, show that the first partial derivative of T with respect to z can be found using:

[tex]
\frac{\partial T}{\partial z} = -\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} / \frac{\partial f}{\partial T}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is a similar example from my textbook, for f(x, y, z) = 0, where z is assumed to be a function of x only.

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] as x and y are independent variables, meaning the derivative of y with respect to x is 0.

[tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} / \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using something similar for the question and it happened to work out, but I'd like to actually understand it properly. It's mostly the implicit part that I'm unsure of for this question. Here's what I did for it:

[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\frac{\partial T}{\partial z}[/tex] as x and y are not dependent on z, derivatives with respect to z must be 0 (not too sure about this part either)

[tex]
\frac{\partial T}{\partial z} = -\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} / \frac{\partial f}{\partial T}
[/tex]

It gets the right answer but I'm still a bit confused by it. I was also having trouble figuring out what the dependency tree for this relationship would look like.
For the textbook example, it mentions that z is assumed to be a function of x only; I'm not sure if that applies to applies to this question in a similar way or if it's for both x and y (or maybe something completely different).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Refraction! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a curly d: ∂ :wink:)

Your proof is fine.

f is a function of 4 variables.

3 of those are independent, and the 4th is a function of those three variables.

If you change z slightly, that won't affect x or y, but it will affect z (obviously :rolleyes:) and T, so you must include ∂f/∂z and ∂f/∂T ∂T/∂z.
Refraction said:
For the textbook example, it mentions that z is assumed to be a function of x only; I'm not sure if that applies to applies to this question in a similar way or if it is for both x and y (or maybe something completely different).

No, it doesn't apply in this case … the only constraint is that T depends on x y and z.

Awesome, thanks! This one question had been bugging me for the last week, your explanation helps a lot.

The only other thing I was unsure of was the dependency tree (which isn't really necessary for this question anyway). I understand how they work for something like a function z = f(x, y), where x and y are both differentiable with respect to multiple variables (e.g. s and t):

rwhveu.png

since it's easy enough to figure out that (as an example) ∂z/∂s = ∂z/∂x ∂x/∂s + ∂z/∂y ∂y/∂s from this. But for something like this question, where it doesn't explicitly tell you that sort of thing, I'm not so sure what it would look like.

Last edited:
Hi Refraction! :smile:

I've never come across dependency trees before. :redface:

From your diagram, it seems that the dependency tree in this case would need T on a higher level than x y and z, so that lines could go down from f to x y z and T, and from T to x y and z.

I honestly don't see the advantage of drawing that. :confused:

Thanks again, that does sound like it would make sense. And thinking about it now, it doesn't look like it would have much of a use for this kind of question anyway.

What is the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable?

The multivariable chain rule with implicit variable is a mathematical tool used to calculate the derivative of a function that has multiple variables and an implicit variable. It allows for the calculation of the derivative with respect to the implicit variable, while still considering the other variables in the function.

How is the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable different from the regular chain rule?

The regular chain rule is used to calculate the derivative of a function with only one independent variable. The multivariable chain rule with implicit variable is used for functions with multiple variables and an implicit variable, allowing for a more comprehensive calculation of the derivative.

What is the importance of the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable in scientific research?

The multivariable chain rule with implicit variable is a crucial tool in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the analysis of complex systems with multiple variables and helps in understanding the relationship between them.

How do you apply the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable in real-world problems?

To apply the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable in real-world problems, you first need to identify the implicit variable in the function. Then, you can use the chain rule formula, taking into account all the variables in the function. Finally, you can use algebraic manipulation to solve for the derivative with respect to the implicit variable.

Are there any limitations to the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable?

Like any mathematical tool, the multivariable chain rule with implicit variable has its limitations. It may not be applicable to functions with discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, it can be challenging to apply in functions with a high number of variables, making the calculation more complex and prone to errors.