Multivariable Derivative Error

In summary: I get a virus warning when I try to open that.Some of your equations make no sense, or else are not true for your current function. For example, your "formula" for ##f(h)## has only ##h## on one side and ##x,y## on the other; that does not mean anything. Besides that, even if we were to correct the formula, it might be false for your function, because it makes some assumptions about the nature of the function in a neighborhood of ##(0,0)## that may not hold for your ##f(x,y)##.Basically, if we define the directional derivative of f at the point ##(x_0,y
Kitty Kat

Homework Statement

f(x,y) =
(xy) / (x2 + y4), when (x, y) ≠ (0,0)
0, when (x,y) = (0,0)

Homework Equations

Explicitly show that f(x,y) does not satisfy
lim h -> 0 [ E(v,h) / ||h|| ] = 0 when v = 0
(h, v, and 0 are all vectors; I'm not sure how to put a hat on them)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to actually tackle this problem using multivariable calculus methods so I just compared the slopes instead (not sure if this is a valid approach either).
Further more I don't really get the concept of E(v,h). All my professor said is that it should approach 0 if the function is differentiable. I'd really appreciate an explanation of E(v,h) please (:

f(h) = f(0,0) + (df/dx(0,0) * x) + (df/dy(0,0) * y) + E(h)
f(h) = 0 + 0x + 0y + E(h)
f(h) = E(h)

Let f(x,y) = f(h,h)
f(h,h) = h / (1+h2)
f'(h) = (-h2 + 1) / (1+h2)2

||h|| = 2h2
f'(||h||) = 4h

lim h-> 0 [ f'(h) / f'(||h||) ] = ∞

Physics news on Phys.org
Kitty Kat said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y) =
0, when (x,y) = (0,0)

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to actually tackle this problem using multivariable calculus methods so I just compared the slopes instead (not sure if this is a valid approach either).
Further more I don't really get the concept of E(v,h). All my professor said is that it should approach 0 if the function is differentiable. I'd really appreciate an explanation of E(v,h) please (:

f(h) = E(h)

Let f(x,y) = f(h,h)
f(h,h) = h / (1+h2)

||h|| = 2h2
f'(||h||) = 4h

Do you have a definition of E(v,h)?

SammyS said:
Do you have a definition of E(v,h)?
Not quite exactly. Here's a picture of my notes since I don't know how to type it here with proper notation.
Link: https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/wwTIGu5Cjgt9OlhFWP6geOc1nuuUgJJX/20151024_164749.jpg
20151024_164749.jpg

I get a virus warning when I try to open that.

Kitty Kat said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y) =
0, when (x,y) = (0,0)

Homework Equations

f(h) = E(h)

Let f(x,y) = f(h,h)
f(h,h) = h / (1+h2)

||h|| = 2h2
f'(||h||) = 4h

Some of your equations make no sense, or else are not true for your current function. For example, your "formula" for ##f(h)## has only ##h## on one side and ##x,y## on the other; that does not mean anything. Besides that, even if we were to correct the formula, it might be false for your function, because it makes some assumptions about the nature of the function in a neighborhood of ##(0,0)## that may not hold for your ##f(x,y)##.

Basically, if we define the directional derivative of f at the point ##(x_0,y_0)## in the direction ##(p,q)## as
[tex] D_{(p,q)} f(x_0,y_0) = \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{f(x_0 + t p, y_0 + t q) - f(x_0,y_0)}{t}, [/tex]
then, in order for your result about ##E(h)## to hold, it is necessary (but perhaps not sufficient) that ##D_{(p,q)} f(x_0,y_0)## be linear in ##(p,q)##; that is, it would be necessary to have ##D_{(p,q)} f(x_0,y_0) = a p + b q## for some real numbers ##a## and ##b##. Is that true at ##(x_0,y_0) = (0,0)## in your current example?

Likes Kitty Kat
Kitty Kat said:
Furthermore, I don't really get the concept of E(v,h). All my professor said is that it should approach 0 if the function is differentiable. I'd really appreciate an explanation of E(v,h) please (:
Read this page: http://www.math.ku.edu/~lerner/m291F08/Chapter9.pdf

Likes Kitty Kat

What is multivariable derivative error?

Multivariable derivative error refers to the error or uncertainty in the calculation of the derivative of a function with multiple independent variables. This error can arise due to various factors such as rounding errors, simplification assumptions, and numerical methods used for calculation.

How is multivariable derivative error calculated?

Multivariable derivative error is typically calculated using the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable, as well as the errors associated with each variable. This can be done using techniques such as the error propagation formula or Taylor series expansion.

What are the sources of multivariable derivative error?

There are several potential sources of multivariable derivative error, including measurement errors in the independent variables, limitations of the numerical methods used for calculation, and simplification assumptions made in the derivation of the function.

How can multivariable derivative error be minimized?

To minimize multivariable derivative error, it is important to carefully consider the sources of error and use appropriate numerical methods and techniques for calculation. Additionally, decreasing the errors in the independent variables through more accurate measurements can also help reduce overall error.

Why is it important to consider multivariable derivative error?

Multivariable derivative error is important to consider because it can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of scientific calculations and models. Ignoring this error can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially misleading results, particularly in fields where precise measurements and calculations are crucial.