1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused about partial derivative to function

1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f(x,y) = \|x \| - \|y\| - |x| - |y|## and consider the surface defined by the graph of ##z=f(x,y)##. The partial derivative of ##f## at the origin is:

##f_{x}(0,0) = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(0 + h, 0) - f(0,0)}{h} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac {\|h\| -|h|}{h} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} 0 = 0##

##f_{y}(0,0) = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ f(0,0 + h) - f(0,0)}{h} = lim_{ h \rightarrow 0} \frac{ |-| h\| -|h|}{h} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} 0 = 0##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not understand where ##lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{\|h\| -|h|}{h}## come from? Can anyone tell me how this comes about? I'm confused.

And also, where does the negative sign come from in the partial derivative of ##y##?

Why is there ##\|h\|## and ##|h|## in the limit equation? What is the difference?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What are ## f(0+h,y)\, , \,f(0,y)## and then ## f(0+h,0)\, , \,f(0,0)\,##?
    The same questions for ##f(x,0+h)\, , \,f(x,0)## and then ##f(0,0+h)\, , \,f(0,0)\,##?
    It is simply the definition of ##f## plus ##\|0\|=|0|=0\,##.
    I don't know. You haven't defined either.

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why are there both in the definition of f?
    As far as I am aware, there are two reasons for mixing these notations.
    1. || x || represents an arbitrary norm, which may be different from the Euclidean norm.
    2. || x || is used for vector x and | x | for scalar x.

By the way, are you sure you have quoted all the signs correctly in the definition of f? It looks strange.

5. Oct 1, 2016 #4
    Ah, sorry, I looked it over and realised I made a typo.

The function is ##f(x,y)= | |x| - |y| | - |x| -|y|##

6. Oct 1, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So those aren't norms at all, it is just$$ |~( |x| - |y|) ~| -|x|-|y|$$Are you still confused about where the
    $$\frac {f(0+h,0)-f(0,0)}{h}=\frac {|h| - |h|}{h}$$comes from?

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6
    I think I'm actually confused as to what ##h## really is. Why does ##f(0+h,0)## and ##f(0,0)## both yield ##|h|##? It doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying ##f(0+h,0) = f(0,0)##, which seems bizarre.

8. Oct 1, 2016 #7

fresh_42

No, ##f(0,0)=0 ##. Both ##h## come from ##f(0+h,0)##. Just substitute ##x=0+h## and ##y=0## in the formula for ##f##.
    ##h## is simply a small positive real number that gets smaller and smaller in the limit, i.e. it tends to ##0##.

9. Oct 1, 2016 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##h## is just a variable. What do you get when you calculate ##f(0+h,0)## from the formula$$
    f(x,y)=|~( |x| - |y|) ~| -|x|-|y|$$

10. Oct 1, 2016 #9
    Ah, I got it now. @fresh_42 and you have helped to clear the confusion. Thanks.

11. Oct 1, 2016 #10

fresh_42

To be exact:
    ##h## doesn't have to be positive. It could as well tend from the negative side towards ##0##.
    I only made this restriction because the word small I used would have become ambiguous for negative ##h\,##. ##\,-5## is smaller than ##-4## and getting smaller would have meant ##-\infty##. So I found it easier to restrict myself to positive ##h##.

It is important to keep this in mind for future examples and other cases. In principal it could even be that ##\lim_{h \rightarrow +0}## is different from ##\lim_{h \rightarrow -0}## although it isn't the case here.

12. Oct 2, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##f(x,y) = |~( |x| - |y|) ~| -|x|-|y|##, what makes you think that ##f(0,0) = |h|##?

13. Oct 2, 2016 #12
    Just a silly mistake on my part, sorry.:wink:

14. Oct 2, 2016 #13
    Yes, thank you for the reminder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted