Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Multivariable limit (x,y) to (0,0)

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the limit:

[itex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(0,0)}=\frac{4\sqrt{x^{14}+y^{14}}}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{3}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I'm supposed to use algebra for this but I can't seem to figure anything useful out.

I've found this:

[itex]x^{14}+y^{14}=(x^{2}+y^{2}) (x^{12}-x^{10} y^{2}+x^{8} y^{4}-x^{6} y^{6}+x^{4} y^{8}-x^{2} y^{10}+y^{12})[/itex]

but I'm not sure that helps me at all.

I know the limit exists and it's zero because I've plotted it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Change this to polar coordinates.

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the advice.

I plugged in [itex]x=rcos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y=rsin(\theta)[/itex] and after a little bit of cleaning up I got:

[itex]lim_{(r,\theta)\rightarrow(0,0)}=4r\sqrt{cos^{14}(\theta)+cos^{14}(\theta)}[/itex]

But the limit is supposed to be one... I'm note sure I'm doing this right, or maybe I just don't understand this as well as I wanted. :blushing:

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That should be [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{r\to 0}\ 4r^5\sqrt{\cos^{14}(\theta)+\sin^{14}(\theta)}\,.[/itex]

θ does not go to zero.

The limit is zero, not 1.

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5
    Yep of course the limit is zero, sorry about that.

This is how I calculated my result:

[itex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{4\sqrt{x^{14}+y^{14}}}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{3}}=lim_{r\rightarrow0}\frac{4\sqrt{r^{14}cos^{14}(\theta)+r^{14}sin^{14} (\theta )}}{(r^{2}cos^{2}(\theta)+r^{2}sin^{2})^{3}(\theta)}=lim_{r\rightarrow0}\frac{4\sqrt{r^{14}}\sqrt{cos^{14}(\theta)+sin^{14}(\theta)}{}}{(r^{2}(cos^{2}(\theta)+sin^{2}(\theta))^{3}}=lim_{r\rightarrow0}\frac{4r^{7}\sqrt{cos^{14}(\theta)+sin^{14}(\theta)}}{r^{6}}=lim_{r\rightarrow0}4r\sqrt{cos^{14} (\theta)+sin^{14}(\theta)}[/itex]

I don't see what I did wrong here.

Also why don't I put [itex]\theta\rightarrow0[/itex]? I understand that [itex]\theta[/itex] goes in a period but shouldn't it approach anything? Maybe [itex]2\pi[/itex]?

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As along as r->0 the limit is still 0. The trig term bounded by [itex]\sqrt 2[/itex] for any value of [itex]\theta[/itex]

8. Jan 24, 2012 #7
    What do you mean by that?

Thank you for all the help. :smile:

9. Jan 24, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that [itex]\sqrt(\sin^{14} \theta+\cos^{14} \theta)[/itex] is bounded as theta goes from 0 to 2*pi. It never gets larger than sqrt(2). If it went to infinity for some value of theta that could be a problem for the limit. The value of your function is between 0 and 4*r*sqrt(2). So as r->0 it must go to zero.

10. Jan 24, 2012 #9
    I get it now. Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook