1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable limits (NOT TO THE ORIGIN)

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty good with multivariable limits, but this one has me stumped:
    Find the limit or show that it does not exist:
    [tex]
    \underset{\left(x,y,z\right)\rightarrow\left(1,-1,1\right)}{\lim}\frac{yz+xz+xy}{1+xyz}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I could not work with polar coordinates here because there is no easy way to find a value that ρ approaches (the point is (1, -1, 1).
    I found it difficult to prove that the limit didn't exist, as in this case the point is in 4-d space and one can only approach it from various 3-D spaces, which I simply could not visualize how to do.
    Help please!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    simply take the limit along one axis, say x axis, the limit already blows up

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Read the problem buddy. The limit is to be taken approaching the point (1, -1, 1), which is a point that doesn't lie on any of the axes.

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The numerator approaches 0 and the denominator doesn't approach 0. Isn't that enough to tell you about the behavior of the limit?

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    Doesn't the denominator approach: [itex] \left(1+\left(1\times-1\times1\right)\right)=\left(1+\left(-1\right)\right)=\left(1-1\right)=0 [/itex]?

sunjin09, I realize I was a little rude with my response and I'm sorry, it's been a tough week. Thanks for the responses guys! I appreciate it.

Quick note: plugging into Wolfram Alpha yields nothing, so I don't have an answer we can cross-reference against. Sorry!

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the denominator approaches 0. And the numerator doesn't. That was Dick's point.

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I had them backwards, sorry.

9. Mar 19, 2012 #8
    Oh my god, the limit is -∞? I'm so sorry guys, I feel like a real idiot. Thanks for the help!

10. Mar 19, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are welcome! But I wouldn't describe it that way. The denominator doesn't have a definite sign. It could be either +∞ or -∞ depending on how you approach it.

11. Mar 20, 2012 #10
    No worries. I should've been more accurate in my wording.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook