Muscle groups to improve posture

In summary: Of course it's not just strength, but are you saying that strengthening supporting musculature isn't an aid to posture? Lengthened Rhomboids and contracted Pectorals are not uncommon at all, and in fact I'd say they're more common than not in this age of typing and computers.Furthermore, not all muscles are created equal. For example, the muscles in your upper back are much more important for posture than the muscles in your abs. Strengthening your upper back will not only improve your posture, but also help to prevent pain in your abs. Strengthening your abs may not have any effect on your posture at all.
zeion
Hello,

I want to improve my posture. I tend to slouch and walk with my head jutted forward. I hear that muscle strength affects posture. Is this true? If so, which group of muscles should I strengthen to improve my posture? If possible, can you also supply some reliable links for correct exercises? I also have access to a public gym, so equipment should not be a problem.

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
your whole back is part of your posture, as well as your abs. Your upper back muscles pull back your shoulders. your lower back and abs will stabilize and keep your posture straight.

I have the same problem as you and I've made a concerted effort to try keep good posture all the time.

Looking for ways to improve your posture other than actually just sitting up straight are probably less effective methods. After a couple weeks of mentally slapping yourself on the wrists for not sitting up straight, it should start to come more and more naturally.

as far as exercises go, youtube P90x ab ripper x for abs, you can do deadlifts for lower back, and rowing, shrugs and pullups for upper back.

everything on the rear chain. the aforementioned deadlifts hit the lower back pretty hard, but also will be working the upper back as well, including upper trapezius, levator scapulae, rhomboids, even latissimus dorsi and posterior deltoids will get in on the action. all manner of rows, high and low, will exercise the upper back muscles.

a bigger issue you may find is that anterior muscle groups may be tight and shortened, and need to be stretched, such as pectoralis, scalenes, and sternocleidomastoids.

stay away from crossfit, it's dangerous.

You should exercise ALL muscle groups as part a complete training regimen.

However, the main determinant of good or bad posture is "core" strength, which is basically your abdominal muscles.

zeion said:
I hear that muscle strength affects posture. Is this true?
Strength has nothing to do with posture.
Any posture is good unless it hurts.
Posture is not related to pain.

Proton Soup said:
everything on the rear chain. the aforementioned deadlifts hit the lower back pretty hard, but also will be working the upper back as well, including upper trapezius, levator scapulae, rhomboids, even latissimus dorsi and posterior deltoids will get in on the action. all manner of rows, high and low, will exercise the upper back muscles.

a bigger issue you may find is that anterior muscle groups may be tight and shortened, and need to be stretched, such as pectoralis, scalenes, and sternocleidomastoids.
stay away from crossfit, it's dangerous.

re bolding mine: You really know your stuff. People always have a "sore back" and forget that they've lengthened their rhomboids, and the pecs contract. I'd just add the teres minor and major to the mix, because the shoulders out of whack can really create problems with the musculature and nerves.

Somasimple: Well... if you have a degenerative muscle disorder it might, and if your posture is terrible then you it may cause pain. When you throw a punch, or take one, or a kick etc... the whole body works and posture is important.

That said, I take your point, and the old "if it hurts, stop" really is a very good idea.

nismaratwork said:
Somasimple: Well... if you have a degenerative muscle disorder it might, and if your posture is terrible then you it may cause pain. When you throw a punch, or take one, or a kick etc... the whole body works and posture is important.

That is not really a common case.
I see everyday in practice strong and straight people who are suffering. The contrary is not evident.
The posture is a matter of balance. It is not a simple affair to change balance with strength.

somasimple said:
That is not really a common case.
I see everyday in practice strong and straight people who are suffering. The contrary is not evident.
The posture is a matter of balance. It is not a simple affair to change balance with strength.

Of course it's not just strength, but are you saying that strengthening supporting musculature isn't an aid to posture? Lengthened Rhomboids and contracted Pectorals are not uncommon at all, and in fact I'd say they're more common than not in this age of typing and computers.

AFAIK, posture is a feedback between muscles, the structural support of the skeleton, connective tissue... and that's it. How could anyone part of that NOT be crucial to the rest, given that it's been made clear that getting ripped isn't a cure for bad posture.

1. What are the main muscle groups involved in improving posture?

The main muscle groups involved in improving posture are the core muscles, which include the abdominals, back muscles, and hip muscles. Additionally, the chest, shoulder, and neck muscles also play a role in maintaining good posture.

2. How do these muscle groups contribute to better posture?

The core muscles help support the spine and keep the body in an upright position, while the chest, shoulder, and neck muscles help maintain proper alignment and prevent slouching. These muscles also work together to distribute weight evenly throughout the body, reducing strain on certain areas and promoting better posture.

3. What are some exercises that target these muscle groups for improved posture?

Some exercises that target these muscle groups for improved posture include planks, bridges, deadlifts, rows, and shoulder shrugs. Yoga and Pilates also incorporate movements that strengthen these muscle groups and promote better posture.

4. Can muscle groups other than the core and upper body affect posture?

Yes, the lower body muscles, specifically the glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings, also play a role in maintaining good posture. Weakness or imbalances in these muscles can lead to poor posture and should be addressed in a well-rounded posture improvement routine.

5. How long does it take to see improvements in posture from targeting these muscle groups?

The time it takes to see improvements in posture from targeting these muscle groups can vary depending on an individual's current posture and level of strength. Consistency and proper form in exercises can lead to noticeable improvements within a few weeks to a few months.