Mutual inductance coefficient with so little info

In summary, the circuit consists of two inductors connected in series with internal resistances R1 and R2 and self-inductances L11 and L22. The magnetic coupling factor is k = 0.75 and the inductors carry the same current i. Using the formula K=|L_M|/sqrt(L1*L2), it is determined that the mutual inductance between the inductors is negative due to discordant coupling. However, without additional information such as voltage and current values, only a symbolic result can be obtained. Understanding the dot notation for coupled inductors was helpful in this analysis.
Granger

Homework Statement

I have the following circuit:
BFVtd.png
The two inductors are connected in series are characterized by internal resistances R1 and R2 and self-inductances L11 and L22. The magnetic coupling factor between the inductors is k = 0.75. The inductors carry the same current i. What is the mutual inductance between inductors?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So I thought of applying:

$$K=\frac{|L_M|}{\sqrt{L_1 L_2}}$$

However:
(a) this does not tell me about the sign of $L_M$ (concordant or discordant coupling)
(b) I don't now the self-inductances BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

What should I do with so little numerical info? Any tips?

Attachments

• BFVtd.png
    BFVtd.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 572
Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:
(a) this does not tell me about the sign of $L_M$ (concordant or discordant coupling)
(b) I don't now the self-inductances BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

What should I do with so little numerical info? Any tips?
I'd look at the diagram and note the winding directions.

gneill said:
I'd look at the diagram and note the winding directions.

For what I understand it is leftwards on the left windings and rightwards on the right windings, correct?

Granger said:
For what I understand it is leftwards on the left windings and rightwards on the right windings, correct?
I'm not sure how to interpret "leftward" and "rightward", but certainly they are wound with opposite sense. :smile:

Thus you should be able to place "dots" on the inductors appropriately.

gneill said:
I'm not sure how to interpret "leftward" and "rightward", but certainly they are wound with opposite sense. :smile:

Thus you should be able to place "dots" on the inductors appropriately.

I meant that B is directed to the right on the windings on the right and to the left on windings on the left! I'm sorry I'm not getting there, what does place the dots even mean?

Granger said:
I meant that B is directed to the right on the windings on the right and to the left on windings on the left! I'm sorry I'm not getting there, what does place the dots even mean?
Have you not been introduced to Dot Notation for coupled inductors? When looking at a schematic it allows one to interpret how coupled inductances are oriented with respect to each other (their winding senses). But it's not critical here since you can see this relationship directly in your figure.

gneill said:
Have you not been introduced to Dot Notation for coupled inductors? When looking at a schematic it allows one to interpret how coupled inductances are oriented with respect to each other (their winding senses). But it's not critical here since you can see this relationship directly in your figure.

No I haven't :/ That's why I'm missing something here. I came across the formulas for coupling inductors:

$ L= L1 + L2 + 2M $

$L = L1 + L2 - 2M $

And didn't understand where they came from and the meaning of them. Maybe it has something to do with that dot notation? Do you know where I can find info on that?

Granger said:
And didn't understand where they came from and the meaning of them. Maybe it has something to do with that dot notation? Do you know where I can find info on that?
Yes and yes.

A Google search on "mutual inductance dot notation" will turn up a bunch of tutorials including videos.

gneill said:
Yes and yes.

A Google search on "mutual inductance dot notation" will turn up a bunch of tutorials including videos.

Ok, so I looked on some tutorials on the internet and I'm more familiar with the concept now.

This leads me to obtain:

$$ \frac{\psi_1 \psi_2}{I}=L_1 + L_2 - 2 |L_M|$$

Where I take the absolute value to reinforce that we have discordant coupling (because of that the value of the mutual inductance will be negative and the minus sign will disappear).

Ok now what can I do next? Because I still don't know the self-inductances...

Granger said:
Ok now what can I do next? Because I still don't know the self-inductances...
You'd need to know something more about the circuit, such as voltage and current values.

gneill said:
You'd need to know something more about the circuit, such as voltage and current values.

I'm only told that I have a sinusoidal current but not a single value is provided... There must be another way :/

Granger said:
I'm only told that I have a sinusoidal current but not a single value is provided... There must be another way :/
Nope. You can only provide a symbolic result without more info.

gneill said:
Nope. You can only provide a symbolic result without more info.

Holy cow I just checked the document with the books mistakes and yup it should only be a symbolic result. Well at least all this time made me understand the dot notation which I wasn't really understanding so thanks :)

You're quite welcome. :smile:

1. What is the mutual inductance coefficient?

The mutual inductance coefficient, denoted by M, is a measure of the strength of the mutual inductance between two electrical circuits. It describes the ability of one circuit to induce a voltage in the other circuit.

2. How is the mutual inductance coefficient calculated?

The mutual inductance coefficient can be calculated using the formula M = k * sqrt(L1 * L2), where k is the coupling coefficient and L1 and L2 are the self-inductances of the two circuits.

3. What factors affect the mutual inductance coefficient?

The mutual inductance coefficient is influenced by the distance between the two circuits, the number of turns in the coils, and the materials used in the circuits. It also depends on the relative orientations of the coils and the frequency of the current passing through them.

4. Can the mutual inductance coefficient be negative?

Yes, the mutual inductance coefficient can be negative. This indicates that the two circuits have opposite orientations, and the induced voltage will have a negative sign compared to the applied current.

5. Why is it important to know the mutual inductance coefficient?

The mutual inductance coefficient is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It is used in the design of transformers, motors, and other devices that utilize electromagnetic induction. It also plays a role in minimizing unwanted coupling between circuits and optimizing the efficiency of power transfer.