My Alloy Question: Material Composition of 3 Alloys

  • Thread starter Thread starter vee6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Alloy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
vee6
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I found three different type of alloy.

1. Not shiny
25748d1210345400-2007-2008-17-inch-oem-alloy-rim-imgp2712.jpg


or

Alloy-Wheel-for-S5.jpg


2. Shiny
Alloy-Wheel-Stw237.jpg


or



or



What is the the material composition of these alloys?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Shiny <-> not shiny is probably just a result of the surface and its structure.
It is impossible to tell which elements are in those objects just by looking at them, but you can find out which materials are frequently used for those objects.
 
mfb said:
Shiny <-> not shiny is probably just a result of the surface and its structure.
It is impossible to tell which elements are in those objects just by looking at them,

I do not need this kind of answer.

Like I asking "what kind of of tree is that?", then your answer is "It's green".

mfb said:
but you can find out which materials are frequently used for those objects.

Where?
 
vee6 said:
I do not need this kind of answer.

Like I asking "what kind of of tree is that?", then your answer is "It's green".
I see a different comparison:
"What kind of tree is that?"
"It is not a tree, it is a house."
Where?
In >100 books and web pages about rims.
Wikipedia is a good place to start
 
Obviously, someone sells these items. Start with them. Do a little digging, find out who makes them. They certainly should know.

My guess: Aluminum. The shinier ones will have chrome applied to the exterior.