My Fault Experiment

• Thread starter Mkbul
  • Start date
Ok, so today i made a new very simple model and i'd like just to discuss it with you all.

Ive put a broken brick (x, y, z: 10, 2.5, 4 Splited up to 5, 2.5 and 5 (cm)) together in a marked with walls (20cm x 20cm x 5cm) area. The bricks were representing the earth's crust. Ive then brought a small can with Very hot water painted in red to represent the magma. Ive then splited it inside the area. The sample of hot water (magma) was a pretty big amout to fill up the whole area. As i was watching the progress of it i've noticed that the fault inside the 2 bricks was slightly filling up the water and the water splited apart the 2 bricks at a very small distance.

What i belive is that the heat of the water forced the 2 bricks apart because of the pressure the hot water had.

Sorry if this was a bad experiment but i'm not that old to know all this stuff! Also im sorry if my english are not readable, i'm Greek!

I accept suggestions to make again the experiment better!

Answers and Replies

Have you tried doing the same experiment but with cold water? Do the blocks still move as you previously observed?

Have you tried doing the same experiment but with cold water? Do the blocks still move as you previously observed?

Well yeah, once again the fault becomes wet, but the bricks are not forced away