My minor in Math isn't official , don't know how to explain it on resume

  • Topic: Math 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rcw110131
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explain Minor Resume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
rcw110131
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
my minor in Math isn't "official", don't know how to explain it on resume

I took all the required classes needed to obtain a minor in Math from my graduating school, but unfortunately more than half the classes were transfer credits from my first school I transferred out of after my first year. Since my graduating school requires more than half the credits to be taken there, I have no minor to show for on my transcript even though I took every class necessary to obtain it, just at separate institutions. Pretty pissed because I wasn't made aware of this rule before taking the final 2 math classes required for the minor at my graduating school, essentially wasting money on 8 credits. But anyways...

I'm in the process of applying to jobs now and I don't want to lie on my resume and say "Bachelor of Science in Physics; Mathematics Minor" but how else can I effectively communicate that I basically do have a minor in math, it's just not "official"? Say "concentration in Mathematics" or something and then explain in the interview?

I'm not really sure how to word this on my resume, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


If you've majored in physics the people who know what that means will generally understand that you have a certain level of mathematical skill. At my undergrad institution you couldn't earn a minor in math if you were taking a physics degree because you wouldn't have had to take any additional courses.

From a resume point of view, you should be tailoring it to the specific jobs you're applying to anyway. In situations where it makes a difference, point out some of the additional mathematics courses that you've taken that might be relevant to the position. Remember, most employers aren't interested in what your degree says, but the skills you will bring to their company.

Also,
Pretty pissed because I wasn't made aware of this rule before taking the final 2 math classes required for the minor at my graduating school, essentially wasting money on 8 credits.
When seeking employment, be careful of the language you use if this comes up. The phrase "I wasn't made aware..." implies that you're placing the responsibility for understanding the requirements of your own academic path on someone else.
 


Let's be clear: you don't have a minor in math. You haven't been awarded one because you haven't met the institutions requirements. This may not be fair, but it is nevertheless true. And like Choppy says, most employers aren't interested in what your degree says, but the skills you will bring to their company.
 


Yes, you could add "with a concentration in mathematics" below your degree.
 


rcw110131 said:
II'm in the process of applying to jobs now and I don't want to lie on my resume and say "Bachelor of Science in Physics; Mathematics Minor" but how else can I effectively communicate that I basically do have a minor in math, it's just not "official"? Say "concentration in Mathematics" or something and then explain in the interview?

Put something like "extensive coursework in mathematics including courses in X, Y, Z". Also you should realize that most employers will assume that if you have a bachelor in physics, that you are decent at math, so adding a minor isn't going to be a huge benefit.

I should point out that the one area in which you really should mention if you have it is if you have coursework in statistics or numerical analysis. The standard physics curriculum is weak in those areas.

Also employers are less concerned about where you have knowledge from. If they need to know your math abilities they can and will give you a lot of math questions.
 


Just say you have the minor... no one is going to check.
 


PhDorBust said:
Just say you have the minor... no one is going to check.

An unbelievably bad idea. If you are going to lie on your resume, at least lie about something that people will actually care about.
 


PhDorBust said:
Just say you have the minor... no one is going to check.

Bad advice.
 


marcusl said:
Yes, you could add "with a concentration in mathematics" below your degree.

This might not be the best idea. Many schools note when you have a concentration in a particular field and have guidelines that you must meet. The best thing you can do is what was already mentioned, I took extra course work in Mathematics in courses X, Y, Z. As mentioned before.