My Plug And Play Solar Energy System

In summary, the conversation focused on a DIY solar system project that was assembled at home using standard parts such as a charge controller, inverter, and UPS battery. The project also included an automatic transfer switch and battery overload protector. The goal of the project is to find cost-effective and efficient ways to implement solar systems and encourage others to do the same. The project also aims to create a universal DC output to power devices without the use of an inverter. Further details and a video demonstration of the project can be found at https://www.kompulsa.com/2017/02/14/look-plug-play-solar-system-project/. The discussion also touched on the possibility of incorporating Anti-Islanding and the specifics of the panels
nikodean1
Hi everyone, i'd like to share my packaged (plug and play) solar system project that I assembled at home. I used mostly standard parts such as a charge controller, inverter, 12 Volt UPS battery, and a pair of NEMA 5-15 R power outlets.

PPSolar.png

I built the automatic transfer switch and battery overload protector using a microcontroller, BJT, and relay.

I initially built it years ago, but recently incorporated the transfer switch to make it more 'plug and play', so to speak.

The end goal of this ongoing project is to discover the cheapest and quickest ways to implement solar systems (i.e. reducing the amount of labour required during installation), and also to encourage anyone that views it to pursue a similar goal/improve it as much as possible.

It looks slightly different now, as it has USB charging outlets (1 is 2.1 amps and the other is 1 amp), but those outlets are my first step towards my goal of powering more devices with DC (without the use of the inverter). I hope to develop a universal 12 + 5 + 3.3 VDC output that devices such as computers and TVs can use (I have a radical goal of a solar and wind-powered world without wall warts and big, heavy, expensive 120 Volt PSUs).

Here's the project description with further details, as well as a video demonstrating it's operation: https://www.kompulsa.com/2017/02/14/look-plug-play-solar-system-project/

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• PPSolar.png
    PPSolar.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Likes Delta2
Engineering news on Phys.org
nikodean1 said:
Hi everyone, i'd like to share my packaged (plug and play) solar system project that I assembled at home. I used mostly standard parts such as a charge controller, inverter, 12 Volt UPS battery, and a pair of NEMA 5-15 R power outlets.

View attachment 217072

I built the automatic transfer switch and battery overload protector using a microcontroller, BJT, and relay.

I initially built it years ago, but recently incorporated the transfer switch to make it more 'plug and play', so to speak.

The end goal of this ongoing project is to discover the cheapest and quickest ways to implement solar systems (i.e. reducing the amount of labour required during installation), and also to encourage anyone that views it to pursue a similar goal/improve it as much as possible.

It looks slightly different now, as it has USB charging outlets (1 is 2.1 amps and the other is 1 amp), but those outlets are my first step towards my goal of powering more devices with DC (without the use of the inverter). I hope to develop a universal 12 + 5 + 3.3 VDC output that devices such as computers and TVs can use (I have a radical goal of a solar and wind-powered world without wall warts and big, heavy, expensive 120 Volt PSUs).

Here's the project description with further details, as well as a video demonstrating it's operation: https://www.kompulsa.com/2017/02/14/look-plug-play-solar-system-project/

Thank you for reading!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Normally thread starts focus on a question, but this may generate an interesting discussion, so let's see how it goes.

Do you have a schematic or detailed block diagram you can share? You mention a transfer switch -- have you incorporated Anti-Islanding in your design? How did you do that?

So I'm assuming this is the power converter portion of the system -- what are the panels like, and what are you using for battery storage (if any)?

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is a Plug and Play Solar Energy System?

A Plug and Play Solar Energy System is a pre-designed and pre-configured solar energy system that can be easily installed and used without the need for professional installation. It typically includes solar panels, an inverter, and a battery storage system, all of which can be plugged into an existing electrical outlet.

2. How does a Plug and Play Solar Energy System work?

The solar panels in a Plug and Play system convert sunlight into electricity, which is then sent to the inverter to be converted into usable AC power. The electricity is either used immediately or stored in the battery for later use. The stored energy can be used during the night or on cloudy days when there is not enough sunlight to power the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a Plug and Play Solar Energy System?

One of the main benefits of a Plug and Play system is its ease of installation. It can be set up by the user without the need for professional help, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, it allows for greater energy independence and can reduce electricity bills by using renewable energy from the sun.

4. Can a Plug and Play Solar Energy System be connected to the grid?

Yes, some Plug and Play systems have the option to be connected to the grid. This allows for excess energy generated by the system to be sent back to the grid, potentially earning credits from the utility company. However, it is important to check with the local utility company and comply with any regulations before connecting to the grid.

5. Can a Plug and Play Solar Energy System be used in all locations?

Plug and Play solar systems can be used in most locations, as long as there is access to sunlight. However, factors such as the amount of sunlight, the angle of the roof, and local regulations may affect the efficiency and feasibility of the system. It is important to research and consider these factors before purchasing and installing a Plug and Play system.