My set thoery course doesnt have a book?

In summary: If the professor is unable to provide a book, then they will likely provide lecture notes. If the student is concerned about not having a book, then they should call the professor and ask.
anonymity
Hey,

This fall I am taking my first proof based course, in set theory, and there is currently "NO BOOK" available from our bookstore. All of the other books are listed, and the math department's publication also listed as "NO BOOK". I knew someone who took this course last spring, and they had a book.

I don't really want to pester the professor, because this will likely be discussed when class starts, but I am a little curious/disconcerted.

I really like having a book for reference/self teaching myself if something happens and I miss lecture or something.

What do you guys think? Do you think that the course could actually not have a book?

I think I am going to call the math department, not the professor. Do you think they could answer the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they're going to be able to answer the question, to be honest, but you can try anyway. I'm sure you'll get recommended literature at the beginning of the course, but I don't see a problem with there being no required book. If that's going to be the case, you're just going to need lecture notes, so what. And I don't see why you'd be "disconcerted" by that. You seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Relax.

Wait until you start is my advice.

The lecturer might give you a subject handout or tell you some references to other books that complement the material you are getting.

If they don't then no harm in asking.

Just one thing that I want to point out: sometimes doing extra reading is not a good idea if you don't keep focused on what is being assessed. If you spend heaps of time learning the subject, but not enough time on what is being assessed, you might not go as well as you could.

I'm not advocating that you don't use other resources, but rather that you realize the domain of your subject and what is being focused on: this way, you can focus on what you need to and not risk spending an inordinate amount of time learning something that you won't be assessed on.

Yea you guys are right I'm just going to wait and see

anonymity said:
Hey,

This fall I am taking my first proof based course, in set theory, and there is currently "NO BOOK" available from our bookstore. All of the other books are listed, and the math department's publication also listed as "NO BOOK". I knew someone who took this course last spring, and they had a book.

I don't really want to pester the professor, because this will likely be discussed when class starts, but I am a little curious/disconcerted.

I really like having a book for reference/self teaching myself if something happens and I miss lecture or something.

What do you guys think? Do you think that the course could actually not have a book?

I think I am going to call the math department, not the professor. Do you think they could answer the question?

Some professors provide a 'book' they wrote themselves, I know that in the physics and math department at my school for specific courses 2 professors provide their own notes but give the names of the books they used as references to write the notes so you could always check them out at the library or something.

It just seemed peculiar because my friend took it last semester and did have a published text (Granted, it was a different teacher).

1. Why doesn't my set theory course have a book?

There are several reasons why a set theory course may not have a specific textbook. Some professors prefer to use a variety of resources, such as lecture notes, articles, and online materials, to create a more dynamic learning experience. Additionally, set theory is a field that is constantly evolving, so a traditional textbook may not cover the most current topics. Lastly, textbooks can be expensive, and some universities may opt for a more cost-effective approach for their students.

2. How will I learn the material without a textbook?

Even without a textbook, there are still plenty of resources available for learning set theory. Your professor may provide lecture notes, recommended readings, or online resources for you to supplement your learning. You can also reach out to your professor or teaching assistants for additional help and clarification on the material.

3. Will not having a textbook affect my grade?

No, not having a textbook should not affect your grade. Your professor will provide all necessary materials and resources for you to learn the material and do well in the course. It is important to stay organized and keep up with the assigned readings and assignments to succeed in the course.

4. Can I purchase a textbook for the course on my own?

Yes, you can certainly purchase a textbook on your own if you feel it would be helpful for your learning. However, make sure to check with your professor first to see if they recommend any specific textbooks or if they will be providing all necessary materials for the course.

5. How can I prepare for exams without a textbook?

Just like with any course, preparing for exams requires studying and reviewing the material covered in class. Your professor may provide study guides or practice problems to help you prepare. You can also form study groups with your classmates and work on practice problems together. Additionally, there are many online resources and study guides available for set theory that can supplement your learning without a textbook.