Name of the formula phi cos²θ + phi sin²θ

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter agermany
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
agermany
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all, 'Im a newbie in physics. Studying the laws of wave mechanics and vectors. I ran across this formula "phi cos^2 + phi sin/^2".

I lost the source. Does anyone know its name? Thank!

Alicia
 
Physics news on Phys.org
agermany said:
"phi cos^2 + phi sin/^2"

Looks weird to me. Are you sure you don't mean cos^2 (phi) + sin^2 (phi), that is cos2(phi) + sin2(phi) ?
 
Positive! I am working with wave equations relative to interdimensional travel. Cant find the site where I ran across this one. It's not a variant of Euler's. I think the Phi symbol was substituted in for a partial derivative somewhere.
 
Ok. I have no clue - the notation looks weird to me, I'm not familiar with it. I don't understand what cos^2 and sin/^2 means at all -there are no variables present in those expressions...:confused:
 
We can't explain an incomplete equation from a dubious and misremembered source. Nobody can.