Is Mythbusters' conclusion about bullet velocity accurate?

In summary, a forum user has a question about a Mythbusters episode where they tested the lethality of a bullet fired directly upward and concluded that it would not be lethal when it hit the ground. The user questions this conclusion based on their understanding of physics and air resistance. Another user in the forum explains that air resistance plays a significant role and without it, the bullet would hit the ground at the same time whether it is fired or dropped. The original poster is then surprised to learn that the mass of the fired bullet is not greater than the mass of the dropped bullet.
jones106
Hey guys, I just discovered this forum and have a question for yall. I am by no means an expert in physics. I've taken general physics I and II, but my physics knowledge stops there.

Hate to do this, but I've got to ask a question pertaining to a Mythbusters episode that I just saw. They were testing whether or not a bullet fired directly upward would be lethal when it reached the ground. They concluded from their experimental results that the bullet would not be lethal when it hit the ground.

From my limited knowledge of basic physics, I would think that the bullet would hit the ground with the same velocity and therefore the same kinetic energy and momentum as when it left the barrel of the gun. Here is my reasoning for this: The bullet leaves the barrel traveling at a certain velocity, and gravity slows it down at a constant rate of 9.8m/s/s. The bullet's kinetic energy is completely converted to potential energy when it reaches its maximum height. The potential energy of the bullet is then converted to kinetic energy as the bullet falls back to earth. So, when the bullet reaches the ground it should have the same kinetic energy, and thus momentum, and when it left the barrel of the gun. I would think that the bullet would be just as lethal as when it was originally fired.

Sorry for the long windedness, I'm just trying to put my exact thoughts on the screen. Am I leaving something out, or do I have the right idea about this? Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jones, your reasoning is correct, but you left something very important out of your model ... air.

cheers
-Gabe

Thanks allday. So I guess the terminal velocity of the falling bullet (due to air resistance) is less than the initial velocity? I was thinking that its terminal velocity when falling would have to be greater than the initial velocity. So when a bullet is just fired horizontally, does air resistance slow the bullet down progressively to its terminal velocity? (neglecting the fact that gravity would bring it to the ground before it decelerated to its terminal velocity)

Here is a discussion from a while back:
No, what you are missing is that everyone else is taking into account air resistance. Without that, there is no "terminal velocity" and a bullet dropped will hit the ground at the same time as a bullet fired on some trajectory. With air resistance, however, that's not true- given enough time to reach terminal velocity, a bullet will, eventually, return to Earth with terminal velocity straight down (since there is no horizontal force, the horizontal component of "terminal velocity" will be 0.
It is true that the fired bullet, in your "airless" scenario will hit with more force since it has a horizontal component of velocity also. But I am mystified as to why you think the mass of the fired bullet will be "considerably greater" than the mass of the same bullet dropped.
Original thread found here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=14560

1. What is bullet velocity and how is it measured?

Bullet velocity is the speed at which a bullet travels after being fired from a gun. It is typically measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s). This measurement can be taken using a chronograph, which uses sensors to track the speed of the bullet as it passes through.

2. Can bullet velocity be affected by different types of ammunition?

Yes, the velocity of a bullet can be affected by the type of ammunition used. Factors such as bullet weight, shape, and gunpowder charge can all impact the velocity of a bullet. Different types of ammunition are designed for different purposes, so it is important to use the correct type for your specific firearm.

3. How does air resistance affect bullet velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the velocity of a bullet as it travels through the air. This is because the air molecules create a force that opposes the motion of the bullet. The longer the distance the bullet travels, the more it will be affected by air resistance and the slower its velocity will be.

4. Can Mythbusters accurately measure bullet velocity?

Yes, the Mythbusters team has access to professional-grade equipment, including high-speed cameras and chronographs, which allow them to accurately measure bullet velocity. They also take multiple measurements to ensure the accuracy of their results.

5. Have any myths been busted regarding bullet velocity on the show?

Yes, the Mythbusters have busted several myths related to bullet velocity, including the myth that a bullet fired straight up into the air will come down with enough force to kill someone. They have also tested the myth that a bullet fired underwater will travel farther than on land, and found that it actually travels a shorter distance due to the resistance of the water.