1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: N-D spring-mass damper total energy

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to derive the total energy for an n-dimensional linear (Hookeian) spring-mass damper system and show that the total energy is either decreasing or constant.

2. Relevant equations
    1D spring-mass damper equation
    n-D spring-mass damper equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with the following force equation in 1D to describe the system:

(1) m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] + b[tex]\dot{x}[/tex] + kx = 0

Where:
    m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] = Facc = m[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex]
    b[tex]\dot{x}[/tex] = Fdamp (viscous friction) = C[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
    kx = Fpotential (gradient of some potential) = [tex]\nabla[/tex]P(x)

So the equation becomes:

(2) -[tex]\nabla[/tex]P(x) - C[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] = m[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

I then modeled the total energy as follows:

(3) Etot = P(x) + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]2

and

(4) [itex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/itex]= [tex]\nabla[/tex]P(x)[tex]\dot{x}[/tex] + m[tex]\dot{x}[/tex][tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]

In (4) I substituted m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] from (1) and got:

[itex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/itex]= [tex]\nabla[/tex]P(x)[tex]\dot{x}[/tex] + [tex]\dot{x}[/tex](-[tex]\nabla[/tex]P(x) - C[tex]\dot{x}[/tex])

=> -C[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]2

....which shows that total energy is either decreasing (|[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]| > 0) or constant ([tex]\dot{x}[/tex] = 0)

I then tried to derive the total energy for the n-dimensional case and relate it to an n-D force equation as I did above. To do this I looked at the 2D case and then generalized the formulas for kinetic and potential energy to n-D but I'm not sure if this was correct. Here are my kinetic and potential energy equations for 2D:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    My latex seems to bug out sometimes so if it looks weird please click on the source but let me continue...

KEtot,2D = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](m11[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]12 + m22[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]22 + m12[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]1[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]2)

PEtot = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](m11[tex]{x}[/tex]12 + m22[tex]{x}[/tex]22 + m12[tex]{x}[/tex]1[tex]{x}[/tex]2)

I took the generalized forms to be:

KEtot,nD = [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}[/itex] (mii)[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]i2 + [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{n-1}[/itex] [itex]\sum_{k=j+1}^n[/itex] (mjk)[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]j[tex]\dot{x}[/tex]k

...and the same for PE with [tex]{x}[/tex] replacing [tex]\dot{x}[/tex].

My plan was to take the derivatives of these and replace the m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] terms with the force equivalences (as above). Is this right? I also can't think of how to make a generalized form of the force equation for an n-D vector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ashapi

Last edited: May 2, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook