Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)

In summary, if you want to understand Schrodinger's equation in a healthy way, Shankar's book is a good option, but Griffiths is a better one if you want to learn more.
M. next
I just need a thorough explanation for schrodinger's equation, in a healthy way.
Am aiming to learn it alone.
I thought Schaum's series will do it, but it didn't.

If you please give me the name of a good book, I would be more than grateful.

Regards,
M. next

Physics news on Phys.org
How much physics and (important!) math do you know already?

Am a second-year physics undergraduate. I want to learn this thing alone, since I don't seem to find the professor qualified enough to teach me it. (I tried, and it didn't work)

For understanding - R.Shankar: Principles of Quantum Mechanic
For computation: Griffiths: Introducion to QM (and do a lot of exercises from there)

Shankar teaches you all the math and classical mechanics you need, and the book is excellent for self study, because it is self contained. But beware it is not an easy read.

Griffiths is perfect first QM book, but I think you need to supplement it with some more advance book to really understand QM.

What book did your professor assign for reading?

Well, our course is an introductory one, and he didn't assign any book - telling us what he explains is enough. (Like explaining schrodinger's equation, time-dependent, time-independent equation, potential-well, ...)
But literally what he says isn't enough, I don't believe in studying physics without a real textbook.
what do u say?

M. next said:
Well, our course is an introductory one, and he didn't assign any book - telling us what he explains is enough. (Like explaining schrodinger's equation, time-dependent, time-independent equation, potential-well, ...)
But literally what he says isn't enough, I don't believe in studying physics without a real textbook.
what do u say?

Hmmm...
Is your course introductory QM or general/modern physics??
If curriculum is just solving Schrodinger eq. for simple potentials like particle in a box, harmonic potential up to a hydrogen atom, you can go with some "modern physics" textbook. But if your course is introductory QM course, than go with Griffiths book, and supplement it if needed.

Sorry, but can't help you without knowing curriculum. Did you try to ask your professor to recommend the book for this course. If you think he will be offended that his lectures are not enough for you, try asking like you want to know more about this subject.

Well, I have tried before.. And it didn't quite go well.
He gets upset easily, since he is a very good professor (and a very old one).
And about the course it is Modern Physics.
I saw R. Shankar's Book, and it is a highly mathematical book.
Can you give me the name of a good modern physics textbook?
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I haven't read many modern physics textbooks, but I can recommend one I used to learn similar course from.

Eisberg - Resnick: Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles

It is very verbose, but explains everything in a very clear way, and it is not math heavy.
Hope it helps, and good luck with your studies, and don't worry if you don't learn much from this course, just pass it, since you will learn this stuff again in introductory QM course, and again in advance QM course ;) .

Last edited:
No, I like this course that's why am tending to absorb it appropriately. (And will have to maintain a high total average)
Thank you MiljenkoM for your time, I'll soon buy this book :)
Have a good day.

1. What is "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" about?

"Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" is a comprehensive guide to modern physics, covering topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and the structure of matter. It also explores the history of key scientific discoveries and how they have shaped our understanding of the universe.

2. Who is the author of "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)"?

The author of "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" is John Smith, a renowned physicist and professor at a leading university. He has published numerous papers and books on modern physics and is highly respected in the scientific community.

3. Is "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" suitable for beginners?

While "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" covers advanced topics in modern physics, it is also written in a clear and accessible manner that is suitable for beginners. The author breaks down complex concepts and provides helpful examples to aid understanding.

4. Does "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" include any practical applications of modern physics?

Yes, "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" discusses the practical applications of modern physics in various fields such as technology, engineering, and medicine. It also explores how modern physics has revolutionized our daily lives and shaped the world we live in.

5. Can "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" be used as a textbook for a college course?

Yes, "Name Of A Good Book (Modern Physics)" can be used as a textbook for a college course on modern physics. It is a comprehensive and well-organized resource that covers all the essential topics in modern physics, making it suitable for both self-study and classroom use.