1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of representation of vectors perpendicular to the plane

  1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Most physicists are familiar with the representation of vectors perpendicular to the plane ([itex]\otimes[/itex] and [itex]\odot[/itex]) which look like the fletching or head of an arrow, commonly used to represent magnetic fields, currents and so on.

    Can anyone tell me the name of this representation? Does it even have a name?

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Do you mean of the ⊗ and ⊙ symbols? That I don't know, but the vectors perpendicular to the plane are called normals to the plane. I bet you knew that already, but I thought I'd post it to exclude that from any future posts.
  4. Apr 4, 2013 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    welcome to pf!

    hi duddo! welcome to pf! :smile:

    i think some people call it the dot cross system, but i don't know of any other name
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook