Name of representation of vectors perpendicular to the plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
duddo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Most physicists are familiar with the representation of vectors perpendicular to the plane ([itex]\otimes[/itex] and [itex]\odot[/itex]) which look like the fletching or head of an arrow, commonly used to represent magnetic fields, currents and so on.

Can anyone tell me the name of this representation? Does it even have a name?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean of the ⊗ and ⊙ symbols? That I don't know, but the vectors perpendicular to the plane are called normals to the plane. I bet you knew that already, but I thought I'd post it to exclude that from any future posts.
 
welcome to pf!

hi duddo! welcome to pf! :smile:

i think some people call it the dot cross system, but i don't know of any other name