Name of the pendulum thing with five balls suspended on strings?

In summary, a Newton's Cradle is a device with five balls suspended on strings that works by demonstrating the law of conservation of momentum and energy. It was invented by Simon Prebble in 1967 and is named after Sir Isaac Newton. Its main purpose is to demonstrate physics principles, but it can also be used for relaxation or stress relief.
LukeD1629
Hey guys

I know you're probably going to laugh at me for this question, but what is the name of the pendulum thing with five balls suspended on strings? You know, the thing that every boss has on his desk in every movie? I have been trying to figure it out for a while now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's cradle (I think).

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
Newton's cradle (I think).

Claude.
Just confirming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cradle

Thank you.

Do you know where to buy one?

u can buy 1 here: http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/NewtonsCradle.cfm

1. What is the name of the pendulum thing with five balls suspended on strings?

The name of this device is called a Newton's Cradle.

2. How does a Newton's Cradle work?

A Newton's Cradle works by demonstrating the law of conservation of momentum and energy. When one ball is lifted and released, it swings and collides with the stationary balls, transferring the energy and momentum. This causes the last ball to swing out, demonstrating that energy and momentum are conserved in the system.

3. Who invented the Newton's Cradle?

The Newton's Cradle was not actually invented by Sir Isaac Newton, but rather by English actor and engineer Simon Prebble in 1967. However, it is named after Newton because it demonstrates his laws of motion.

4. What is the purpose of a Newton's Cradle?

Aside from being a popular desk toy, a Newton's Cradle is often used in science classrooms to demonstrate principles of physics and energy conservation. It is also used as a visual representation of how a pendulum works.

5. Can a Newton's Cradle be used for other purposes?

While its main purpose is to demonstrate scientific principles, a Newton's Cradle can also be used as a relaxation tool or stress reliever. The repetitive motion and clicking sound can be soothing and calming for some individuals.