Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name that Mathmatics term (Periodic blank )

  1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    Name that Mathmatics term (Periodic "blank")

    I have no idea what the english term for it is. As a result it is more-or-less impossible to find something about it online.

    One can give the equation for a sine kurve simply by looking at the graph, taking values such as the amplitute, period etc. and combining them to one equation.

    If it is what I think it is, wikipedia seems to have a very limited number of information about it. Any resources on that subject at all would be highly appreciated.

    Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2
    Periodic function?
  4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

    matt grime

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    ok, we'll try to help find what 'it' is.

    I'm not sure one can do that at all.

    If you say what the 'it' refers to we might be able to help.
  5. Sep 6, 2006 #4
    I think the term is 'periodic sequence'. Reading the amplitude gives A, the k is (2 * pi) / (period) and b is the phase shift (also directly translated).

    y = A sin(kx+b)

  6. Sep 6, 2006 #5
    i didn't think there was a term for that. i know i've seen a trig series written using only sines by using certain identities to get rid of the cosine but i've never come across a name for it.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook