Name that Mathmatics term (Periodic blank )

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find the English term for a type of mathematics, specifically a periodic function or sequence. The equation for a sine curve is mentioned as a way to describe this type of function, and the conversation also mentions limited information on this subject on Wikipedia. The term "periodic sequence" is suggested as a possible term, and the equation y = A sin(kx+b) is mentioned as a possible way to represent this type of function.
Mattara
Name that Mathmatics term (Periodic "blank")

I have no idea what the english term for it is. As a result it is more-or-less impossible to find something about it online.

One can give the equation for a sine kurve simply by looking at the graph, taking values such as the amplitute, period etc. and combining them to one equation.

If it is what I think it is, wikipedia seems to have a very limited number of information about it. Any resources on that subject at all would be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Periodic function?

Mattara said:
I have no idea what the english term for it is.

ok, we'll try to help find what 'it' is.

One can give the equation for a sine kurve simply by looking at the graph, taking values such as the amplitute, period etc. and combining them to one equation.

I'm not sure one can do that at all.

If it is what I think it is, wikipedia seems to have a very limited number of information about it.

If you say what the 'it' refers to we might be able to help.

I think the term is 'periodic sequence'. Reading the amplitude gives A, the k is (2 * pi) / (period) and b is the phase shift (also directly translated).

y = A sin(kx+b)

?

i didn't think there was a term for that. i know I've seen a trig series written using only sines by using certain identities to get rid of the cosine but I've never come across a name for it.

What is a periodic pattern in mathematics?

A periodic pattern in mathematics is a repeating sequence of numbers or shapes that follows a specific rule or formula. It is also known as a periodic function or periodic sequence.

What is the period of a periodic function?

The period of a periodic function is the length of one complete cycle in the pattern. In other words, it is the distance between two consecutive points on the graph where the function repeats itself.

What is the difference between a periodic function and a non-periodic function?

A periodic function has a repeating pattern and will continue indefinitely, while a non-periodic function does not have a repeating pattern and can have a variety of shapes and behaviors.

What is the significance of periodicity in mathematics?

Periodicity is important in mathematics because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler, repeating patterns. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What are some examples of periodic functions in real life?

Some examples of periodic functions in real life include the motion of a pendulum, the changing tides, the seasonal changes in temperature, and the stock market cycles. Other examples include the vibrations of a guitar string, the heartbeat, and the orbit of planets around the sun.