Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Hey, i Just heard about these challenges that they have been doing since 2005. I saw the machines they created for 2007, and No one won. Well, the prize is now like over 350,000 for 2008. I`m thinking of giving it a shot, Just don't know if i can enter.... The competition is in the States, Can Canadians take part in it? If anyone Has info on The time table for the 2008 competition and if i can even enter, please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2
    I doubt you'll be able to compete in anything like this, since you're in Canada.

I remember reading a while back about a Siemens design competition that I really wanted to compete in, but I wasn't able to because I'm Canadian as well. Probably the same sort of restrictions here.
  4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
    I thought i saw a Canadian team in some moon buggy race.. Not sure though. I emailed someone asking if i can compete, but they havent responded. Its kinda stupid if i cant, thats mostly all we canadians can do for the space program.
  5. Sep 15, 2007 #4
    Well, I just found this.

"Teams from Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., Livermore, Calif., Berkeley, Calif., Fulks Run, Va., Rolla, Mo., Berkley, Mich., Milwaukee, and Vancouver, British Columbia, have registered to participate in the challenge"

So I guess I will be able to compete.
  6. Sep 15, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Well then, get in there and kick some ass on behalf of all Canucks. :approve:
  7. Sep 21, 2007 #6
    I just got an email back,

" Participation in the challenge is open, but the registered team leader will need to be a US person or company"

I was going to do this myself, so dont know if i can compete. Dont really know many people in the states.
  8. Dec 22, 2007 #7
    Well, now i`m not sure. They just posted this

According to the Team Agreement, the Team Leader, if an individual, must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US. If a company, must have its primary place of business in the US. Team Members must also meet the same criteria. The team is not required to pass these requirements down to sponsors or contractors who are not team leaders nor team members.

SO, guess i`m out?
  9. Dec 26, 2007 #8

Gold Member

So how about you approach someone on PF to see if s/he would be your team leader? It's a long shot that someone would agree to it, but you can't get hurt by trying.
  10. Dec 26, 2007 #9

D H

Staff: Mentor

A US person is
    In other words, A Canadian with a US green card will suffice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?