Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA Dark Matter Announcement on Monday, 21st Aug

1. Aug 15, 2006 #1
    http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/aug/HQ_M06128_dark_matter.html

http://asymptotia.com/2006/08/15/watch-that-space/

Cosmic Variance's Sean Carroll is one of the briefing participants.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2006 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

We live in exciting times, neutrino. Thanx for the heads up.

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3
    Yes, thankyou indeed!

It appears the stories been leaked, and the Chandra observation is of 1E 0657-56 or the "Bullet Cluster"

5. Aug 16, 2006 #4
    Where is the leak? (Is it Karl Rove? o:) ) What specifically are they inferring from that cluster that suggests dark matter?

6. Aug 16, 2006 #5
    See neutrino second link and the comments. Sorry, not familiar with Karl Rove.

7. Aug 16, 2006 #6

EL

Science Advisor

It's not the first time people claim to have detected dark matter indirectly, but let's hope this time it's for real!

8. Aug 16, 2006 #7
    There are already papers in existance on this cluster and dark matter. I have linked them a few times here if you care to check my previous posts. I saw Maxim Markevitch talk at the 6 years of Chandra conference on this cluster. They have a much deeper observation with Chandra, and I am guessing they have probably gone deeper in the optical to improve the lensing maps.

9. Aug 16, 2006 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Cautious optimism, matt. This could be a breakthrough, or just another unsupported guess. I'm hesitant because it would be a huge discovery.

10. Aug 16, 2006 #9
    Marcus has linked to John Baez's blog too. See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week238.html for more.

All I am saying is that they are probably just updating their old paper with better observations. I know for a fact that the "bullet cluster" has been re-observed for 500ks on chandra - an order of magnitude longer than the previous observation. Who knows, maybe they have found more evidence using this new data?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  11. Aug 17, 2006 #10

Haelfix

Science Advisor

Bye Bye MonD/TeVeS..

12. Aug 17, 2006 #11
    matt.o, What's 'ks' ("I know for a fact that the "bullet cluster" has been re-observed for 500ks")? Kiloseconds?

13. Aug 17, 2006 #12
    yes, ks=kilo seconds. It is standard terminology for observation time in x-ray astronomy.

14. Aug 17, 2006 #13
    Thanks. I have never heard it before.

15. Aug 17, 2006 #14

Kea

Dark matter is...

Extremal black holes of Planck mass. Could some astronomers please use this fact to come up with a galactic collision simulation before Monday.

cheers
    Kea
    :smile:

16. Aug 18, 2006 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Kea, Planckian mass black holes would evaporate almost as soon as they formed. I think you misstated your point. You are a very bright girl, so I don't even consider the possibility I know more than you do on this subject - just question your basis for this assertion.

17. Aug 21, 2006 #16
  18. Aug 21, 2006 #17
  19. Aug 30, 2006 #18
  20. Aug 30, 2006 #19

LURCH

Science Advisor

I always get a bit suspicious when the peopel who write headlines use words like "proof", or researchers say things like
    That one's going to stir up a hornet's nest! But I suppose that's why he said it; to draw out the detrctors and force them to respond to the data. Their failure to refute will be a much stronger support of the claims being made.

21. Aug 30, 2006 #20
    ur absolutely right. that's how it works, doesn't it?:wink:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?