Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA schedules briefing to announce MAJOR finding on Mars

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    NASA said in a press statement that it will announce new results from the Mars Global Surveyor, and they are calling it a significant find. And no, I don't think it mentions Cydonia :)

The briefing is today at 1 p.m. EST. I have an idea what it could be, can't wait to see it...

Go to NASA TV or your NASA channel on cable/satellite for live coverage.

Link to news article: http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/dec/HQ_M06186_Mars_Briefing.html.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2
    Yep, very impressive stuff indeed...

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    That was a FAST reply by Marlon! I don't think I was even done loading the page :)
  5. Dec 6, 2006 #4
    lol...but i have a very fast pc and network connection.

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5
    LOL, being a physics guru has it's financial benefits, eh? :)
  7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    lol indeed, and having good phd funding as well

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7
    water on mars.

apparently there's water on mars, the next step is colonolization.
  9. Dec 6, 2006 #8
    Got any links? Sounds kind of weird, do you mean they proved there was water on mars or something?
  10. Dec 6, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there might be a few more steps in between. :biggrin:
  11. Dec 6, 2006 #10
  12. Dec 6, 2006 #11
    Very interesting and shocking indeed.
  13. Dec 6, 2006 #12
    This is BIG news... the news conference is going on right now so I don't have ALL the details, but one of the more interesting quotes from the scientists:

Decades ago, scientists were talking about water on Mars billions of years ago. Five years ago, scientists were talking about water on Mars millions of years ago. Today we are talking about water on the surface of Mars right now!

OK, that quote is comming from my short memory bank but that is the big news out of this. More to come...
  14. Dec 6, 2006 #13
    I wonder if they will be able to estimate how much water mars could have under its crust.
  15. Dec 6, 2006 #14
    They are saying the water could be reaching the surface from subsurface aquifers, snowmelt, ground ice.

There is a summary of the main points here. Keep in mind that the briefing is still ongoing.

This is all too exciting. Can anyone say microbes?
  16. Dec 6, 2006 #15
    That was very interesting!
  17. Dec 6, 2006 #16
    Anyone up for a little swim? :)
  18. Dec 6, 2006 #17

Homework Helper

Why is finding water on Mars a major finding?
  19. Dec 6, 2006 #18
    Water is necessary for life [as we know it] and could provide proof to life on other planets [microscopic organisms in said water].

That, and it means a colony on Mars would have a water supply.
  20. Dec 6, 2006 #19
    This could be one of the biggest scientific discoveries of our lifetime.
  21. Dec 6, 2006 #20

Homework Helper

I don't see the big deal concerning microbes, but certainly if it means that water might be useful to a future colony then I can see then I can see that it is good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?