Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural isomorphism of Left adjoints

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    Given two left adjoints [tex]F,H:\mathcal{C}\to\mathcal{D}[/tex] of a functor [tex]G:\mathcal{D}\to\mathcal{C}[/tex], how do we show that [tex]F[/tex] and [tex]H[/tex] are naturally isomorphic? This is my idea so far (I am working with the Hom-set defenition of adjunction):

We need to construct a natural isomorphism [tex]\alpha[/tex]. So, for each [tex]x\in\mathcal{C}[/tex], I need a morphism [tex]\alpha_x:F(x)\to H(x)[/tex]. Suppose we are given the natural isomorphisms [tex]\varphi:\mbox{Hom}(F-,-)\to\mbox{Hom}(-,G-)[/tex] and [tex]\psi:\mbox{Hom}(H-,-)\to\mbox{Hom}(-,G-)[/tex]. Then, I can simply let [tex]\alpha_x := \varphi_{x,Hx}^{-1}\circ\psi_{x,Hx}(1_{Hx})[/tex]. But, I am stuck here. I don't know how to show that for a given morphism [tex]f:x\to y[/tex] in [tex]\mathcal{C}[/tex], [tex]H(f)\circ\alpha_x = \alpha_y\circ F(f)[/tex].
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2008 #2
    You have (natural) isos

is the composition of (natural) isos an iso?
  4. Aug 13, 2008 #3
    Yes, I believe so.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?