1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to Navier-Stokes Equation for dynamic boundary

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    I'm looking to get a full solution to the Navier-Stokes equation to describe fluid flow through a pipe with moving surfaces.

For now I am just concerned with a two dimensional system. The upper and lower boundaries are parallel to the x-axis. The surfaces of the boundaries move sinusoidally according to:
    Vb(x)=v0*cos(k0*x)

Eliminating several terms from the Navier-Stokes equations, I think the only relevant terms that I need to solve are in the following two equations:

nu*grad^2*v(x,y)+grad*p(x,y)=0

grad*v(x,y)=0

A possible solution that I am trying to test is:
    Vx(x,y)=Vx0*e^(i*k0*x)*cos(ky*y)
    Vy(x,y)=Vy0*e^(i*k0*x)*sin(ky*y)
    P(x,y)=P0*e^(i*k0*x)*e^(i*q*y)

Where Vx0,ky,Vy0,P0,q are constants to be determined. It is clear from the boundary conditions (the no-slip condition in particular) that Vx0=V0. Other than that, I am not sure how to get the other constants or even if this solution works completely.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm a little confused... are the walls moving in their plane (back and forth) or out of plane (up and down)?

The first problem is (IIRC) solved- look up "Stokes' first problem" and "Stokes' second problem"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook