Necessary Prereq Math Class Full?

• Thread starter pjl2934
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, you could try self-study the course, show up for the classes, or try to get the department chair to let you in.
pjl2934
It's horrible! Despicable! I have to take Intro to Mathematical Reasoning, which is the proofs course at my university. I was planning on taking it this fall so I can take Advanced Calculus (the real analysis track prereq) and PDE in the spring. Math Reasoning is the prereq to both of them an it's completely full! I've filled out an override request and won't find anything out until a week before classes start. Worst case should I just show up for the class anyways? With a fold-up stool and a tray-table? Haha, I think it could work..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear that :frown:

What you could do is self-study the course. Maybe you can convince the professor of the later courses that you do know the prerequisite material.

You could also show up for the classes and hope it's not full. Usually some people drop out after a while and a spot opens. You can then ask your professor to let you in the course.

I don't know if this is the case at your school, but we're allowed to enroll in any class we want regardless of whether we have had the prerequisite class or not. The prerequisites listed are more of a guideline than a requirement. So you should check out whether that's the case at your school too. Try enrolling in Adv Calc and see if the system let's you. In that case, you can self-study the intro proofs class yourself over the summer. If that doesn't work, micromass' suggestion is also good. Self-study and try to convince the Adv Calc professor to let you in.

Unless you are a last-semester senior, this isn't huge deal. You can make it up later.

But I totally understand the frustration. Talk to the professor. Tell him it is a requisite course and, if you can't get written in immediately, you'd like to sit in and learn the material so that if a spot opens up early in the semester, you can grab it and not be behind in the material.

Unless you are a last-semester senior, this isn't huge deal. You can make it up later.

But I totally understand the frustration. Talk to the professor. Tell him it is a requisite course and, if you can't get written in immediately, you'd like to sit in and learn the material so that if a spot opens up early in the semester, you can grab it and not be behind in the material.

Agreed -- at my school, instructors can add extra students if they feel like they have the room, you just need to show up with a form to have signed and then take it to the registrar for them to override. Check with the registrar to see if they have anything similar.

We're also able to get the department chair to override pre-reqs if we prove to them that we're capable of the material and won't drop it. (I tried this and failed to get approval, unfortunately, but I've known others who succeeded.)

There are tons of video lectures on proof writing and tons of course websites with practice material.

And if you know a professor at your school, you could stop by their office occasionally with questions (with their permission).

Last edited:
Is it possible you could audit a class that was full? Or can you get them to let you in because you need it for your major? It sounds important and not like something you'd want to miss/skip/teach yourself from scratch.

1. What is a necessary prerequisite math class?

A necessary prerequisite math class is a course that must be completed before taking a more advanced math class. It provides the foundational knowledge and skills necessary to understand the concepts and materials in the higher level course.

2. Why is it important to complete prerequisite math classes?

Completing prerequisite math classes is important because it ensures that students have the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in a more advanced course. Without a strong foundation, students may struggle to understand the material and may not perform well in the class.

3. Can I skip a necessary prerequisite math class?

In most cases, it is not recommended to skip a necessary prerequisite math class. Even if a student feels confident in their math abilities, the prerequisite course may cover important concepts and skills that are necessary for success in the higher level course.

4. What happens if I do not meet the prerequisites for a math class?

If a student does not meet the prerequisites for a math class, they may be required to take the prerequisite course before being allowed to enroll in the higher level course. Alternatively, they may be able to demonstrate their knowledge and skills through a placement test or other assessment.

5. How can I prepare for a necessary prerequisite math class?

To prepare for a necessary prerequisite math class, students can review basic math concepts and skills, such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. They can also practice problem solving and work on improving their mathematical fluency. It may also be helpful to reach out to the instructor or academic advisor for recommendations on specific topics to focus on.