1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Necessary Prereq Math Class Full?

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    It's horrible! Despicable! I have to take Intro to Mathematical Reasoning, which is the proofs course at my university. I was planning on taking it this fall so I can take Advanced Calculus (the real analysis track prereq) and PDE in the spring. Math Reasoning is the prereq to both of them an it's completely full!! I've filled out an override request and won't find anything out until a week before classes start. Worst case should I just show up for the class anyways? With a fold-up stool and a tray-table? Haha, I think it could work..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm sorry to hear that :frown:

What you could do is self-study the course. Maybe you can convince the professor of the later courses that you do know the prerequisite material.

You could also show up for the classes and hope it's not full. Usually some people drop out after a while and a spot opens. You can then ask your professor to let you in the course.

4. Jun 20, 2012 #3
    I don't know if this is the case at your school, but we're allowed to enroll in any class we want regardless of whether we have had the prerequisite class or not. The prerequisites listed are more of a guideline than a requirement. So you should check out whether that's the case at your school too. Try enrolling in Adv Calc and see if the system lets you. In that case, you can self-study the intro proofs class yourself over the summer. If that doesn't work, micromass' suggestion is also good. Self-study and try to convince the Adv Calc professor to let you in.

5. Jun 20, 2012 #4
    Unless you are a last-semester senior, this isn't huge deal. You can make it up later.

But I totally understand the frustration. Talk to the professor. Tell him it is a requisite course and, if you can't get written in immediately, you'd like to sit in and learn the material so that if a spot opens up early in the semester, you can grab it and not be behind in the material.

6. Jun 20, 2012 #5
    Unless you are a last-semester senior, this isn't huge deal. You can make it up later.

But I totally understand the frustration. Talk to the professor. Tell him it is a requisite course and, if you can't get written in immediately, you'd like to sit in and learn the material so that if a spot opens up early in the semester, you can grab it and not be behind in the material.

7. Jun 20, 2012 #6
    Agreed -- at my school, instructors can add extra students if they feel like they have the room, you just need to show up with a form to have signed and then take it to the registrar for them to override. Check with the registrar to see if they have anything similar.

We're also able to get the department chair to override pre-reqs if we prove to them that we're capable of the material and won't drop it. (I tried this and failed to get approval, unfortunately, but I've known others who succeeded.)

8. Jun 20, 2012 #7
    There are tons of video lectures on proof writing and tons of course websites with practice material.

And if you know a professor at your school, you could stop by their office occasionally with questions (with their permission).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. Jun 23, 2012 #8
    Is it possible you could audit a class that was full? Or can you get them to let you in because you need it for your major? It sounds important and not like something you'd want to miss/skip/teach yourself from scratch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook