Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a certain type of meter - don't know the name - Help please

  1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    I am making a tool for my workshop and I need a meter that I can press onto certain soft surfaces to measure their internal pressure. Obviously I will have to calibrate the meter for my specific purposes but I want to buy some and start playing around with my idea.

    Basically I need something that has a needle that gets pushed in with a certain amount of force and gives either a mechanical dialed readout or an electronic readout.

    I know you guys can help me out!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2
    Sounds like you need a "durometer" hardness tester.
  4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    I would put it on a scale, you will know the force.
    And: Force / Area = Pressure. (lbs. /square inch)
    Measure and calculate the area.

    A durometer produces a dimensionless quantity I believe, not a unit of pressure.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  5. Feb 6, 2015 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    There are some important tips on using a durometer on tires or other surfaces:


  6. Feb 7, 2015 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    What range of internal pressures does the meter need to cover?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook