Need a certain type of meter - don't know the name - Help please

• Thread starter icapture
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am making a tool for my workshop and I need a meter that I can press onto certain soft surfaces to measure their internal pressure. Obviously I will have to calibrate the meter for my specific purposes but I want to buy some and start playing around with my idea.

Basically I need something that has a needle that gets pushed in with a certain amount of force and gives either a mechanical dialed readout or an electronic readout.

I know you guys can help me out!!!

Answers and Replies

Sounds like you need a "durometer" hardness tester.

I would put it on a scale, you will know the force.
And: Force / Area = Pressure. (lbs. /square inch)
Measure and calculate the area.

A durometer produces a dimensionless quantity I believe, not a unit of pressure.

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
I am making a tool for my workshop and I need a meter that I can press onto certain soft surfaces to measure their internal pressure. Obviously I will have to calibrate the meter for my specific purposes but I want to buy some and start playing around with my idea.

Basically I need something that has a needle that gets pushed in with a certain amount of force and gives either a mechanical dialed readout or an electronic readout.

I know you guys can help me out!!!
There are some important tips on using a durometer on tires or other surfaces:

http://www.longacreracing.com/technical-articles.aspx?item=8167

:-)

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
I need a meter that I can press onto certain soft surfaces to measure their internal pressure.
What range of internal pressures does the meter need to cover?