1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a check on a simple derivative question

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f(t)=(4t+2)/(t+3) what is f'(t)=?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got 10/(t+3)^2 but my professor insists it is 6/(t+7)^2, I know this is a simple question but I don't know where I am going wrong.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    You are correct.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The denominator in the derivative can't possibly be (t + 7)2. Make sure that you and your instructor are working the same problem.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    That's what I told him but he has a problem listening to anyone who doesn't have Phd after their name, this is going to be fun lol!

Thanks for the verification!

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5
    I often had a "fight" with my lecturers (many of whom were professors) at university and often came out on top.

So please pursue this!

In a calm manner, of course...

7. Oct 1, 2012 #6
    Oh I'm going to pursue it, this is the 'fun' part of going back to school :)

I've always been polite, although during the summer session one of my Professors asked me to please not sign up for any of his classes again, ha ha!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook