Need a check on a simple derivative question

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, The given function is f(t)=(4t+2)/(t+3) and the question is to find the derivative f'(t). The attempt at a solution yielded 10/(t+3)^2, but the professor insists it is 6/(t+7)^2. The conversation concludes with the advice to make sure both parties are working on the same problem and the insistence to pursue the issue in a calm manner.
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If f(t)=(4t+2)/(t+3) what is f'(t)=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 10/(t+3)^2 but my professor insists it is 6/(t+7)^2, I know this is a simple question but I don't know where I am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct.

mesa said:

Homework Statement

If f(t)=(4t+2)/(t+3) what is f'(t)=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 10/(t+3)^2 but my professor insists it is 6/(t+7)^2, I know this is a simple question but I don't know where I am going wrong.
The denominator in the derivative can't possibly be (t + 7)2. Make sure that you and your instructor are working the same problem.

Mark44 said:
The denominator in the derivative can't possibly be (t + 7)2. Make sure that you and your instructor are working the same problem.

That's what I told him but he has a problem listening to anyone who doesn't have Phd after their name, this is going to be fun lol!

Thanks for the verification!

mesa said:
That's what I told him but he has a problem listening to anyone who doesn't have Phd after their name, this is going to be fun lol!

Thanks for the verification!
I often had a "fight" with my lecturers (many of whom were professors) at university and often came out on top.

So please pursue this!

In a calm manner, of course...

oay said:
I often had a "fight" with my lecturers (many of whom were professors) at university and often came out on top.

So please pursue this!

In a calm manner, of course...

Oh I'm going to pursue it, this is the 'fun' part of going back to school :)

I've always been polite, although during the summer session one of my Professors asked me to please not sign up for any of his classes again, ha ha!

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to simplify the function and determine its derivative.

3. Can you provide an example of finding a derivative?

Sure, for example, if we have the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 5x + 2, we can use the power rule to find its derivative. The power rule states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). Applying this rule, we get f'(x) = 6x + 5. This means that the derivative of f(x) is 6x + 5.

4. What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

Finding derivatives is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows us to analyze the rate of change of a function and make predictions about its behavior. It also helps us find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which is useful in optimization problems.

5. How can I check if my derivative is correct?

One way to check if your derivative is correct is to graph both the original function and its derivative on a graphing calculator or software. The derivative should be a tangent line to the original function at any given point. Additionally, you can also use the derivative rules to simplify and verify your answer.