Need a laptop for engineering undergrad

In summary, the minimum specs for a laptop for electrical and biomed engineering would be a quad core i7 processor, 50GB of RAM, and 200TB of HDD. A desktop would be preferable for more screen space, but if budget allows, the Alienware M18x would be a good choice with its large screen and powerful graphics card. However, it is also quite heavy and expensive.
hola lika
hi i am going to a university next year for electrical and biomed engineering ... can someone tell me the minimum specs i would need in a laptop ...

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, because you do not provide any useful information. Find out what software you'll need to run and go from there.

i will be using
PSpice
Matlab
Quartus II
Matlab
Solidworks

OH NOES! A laptop won't do the job.
You will need a quad core i7 computer with about 50 gigs of ram and 200 Tb of HD to do that.

You might even need one of these

In all seriousness, almost any laptop will do the job you need. Running CAD from a laptop is crappy at the best of times, and won't make a blind bit of difference what laptop you run it on (within reason).

Just buy the best you can afford.

Last edited:
I agree with xxChrisxx

A desktop would be preferable if not just for more screen real estate. UNLESS...

You are loaded in which case you should take a look at the new Alienware M18x. It is a beautiful peace of hardware with a big screen and a graphics card (or two if you feel so inclined) to power a big *** monitor alongside the generous 18.4" of the laptop itself! One problem. You'll probably spending a lot of time at the chiropractor with back problems since it weighs a more than hefty 5.41KG. And incidentally a visit to your bank manager wouldn't be a bad move either with prices starting at an eye watering :bugeye: £1698.99

moogoomonkey

:wink:

1. What are the minimum specifications for a laptop for engineering undergrad?

The minimum specifications for a laptop for engineering undergrad typically include a processor with at least 4 cores, 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. It is also important to have a solid state drive (SSD) for faster performance.

2. Can I use a Macbook for engineering undergrad?

Yes, you can use a Macbook for engineering undergrad. However, it is recommended to have a dual-boot system with a Windows operating system for certain engineering software that may not be compatible with MacOS.

3. Is a touchscreen necessary for a laptop for engineering undergrad?

No, a touchscreen is not necessary for a laptop for engineering undergrad. However, it can be useful for certain engineering programs that have touch-based features.

4. How much storage do I need for a laptop for engineering undergrad?

It is recommended to have at least 256GB of storage for a laptop for engineering undergrad. However, if you will be working with large files or programs, it is best to have 512GB or more.

5. Can I use a gaming laptop for engineering undergrad?

Yes, a gaming laptop can be used for engineering undergrad. However, it is important to make sure that it meets the minimum specifications for engineering programs and has a good cooling system to prevent overheating.