Electrical engineering undergrad to physics grad school?

In summary, an electrical engineering undergrad student is wondering if they can switch to a physics grad program after completing their first year. It is possible, but there may be deficiencies in their knowledge of physics that they would need to catch up on. Some EE courses do include physics and math, but it is expected that physics grad students have a background in physics. It may be helpful to complete a minor in physics before applying to a physics grad program.
caj1218
I am an electrical engineering undergrad student just finishing my first year. I have a love of physics and I was starting to wonder if it would be possible for me to stay in EE undergrad but change to physics for grad school. Is there enough physics in EE that I could make the switch?

Physics news on Phys.org
This should have been posted in the Academic Guidance forum. A mentor will probably move this soon.

Secondly, you should start by reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

You will have deficiencies in the subject matter that you covered as an EE major. The question is, how much will it be and how much flexibility will your intended graduate program allows you to catch up with undergraduate courses. There's a lot of uncertainty here that cannot be answered since you are still years away from getting to that point.

Zz.

That depends a lot on your particular program. Some EE courses include a fair amount of physics and pure math. But physics grad programs expect that their incoming students were physics undergrads.

Of course, it doesn't mean you won't be accepted, but they might make you take undergrad physics courses at first before they let you start doing the advanced stuff. If you've got time, maybe pick up a minor in physics?

What is the difference between an electrical engineering undergraduate degree and a physics graduate degree?

While both degrees involve studying topics related to electricity and energy, an electrical engineering undergraduate degree focuses more on the practical application of these concepts, while a physics graduate degree delves deeper into the theoretical understanding of these concepts and their underlying principles.

Will my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering prepare me for graduate level physics courses?

Yes, your undergraduate degree in electrical engineering will provide you with a solid foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles that will be useful in graduate level physics courses. However, you may need to take additional courses to fill in any gaps in your knowledge or to meet specific prerequisites for certain graduate programs.

What kind of research opportunities are available for someone with an electrical engineering background in a physics graduate program?

There are many research opportunities available for individuals with an electrical engineering background in a physics graduate program. You may have the opportunity to work on projects related to energy systems, quantum electronics, or computational physics, among others. Your engineering background may also give you a unique perspective and skill set that can be applied to various research projects.

What career options are available for someone with a physics graduate degree and an electrical engineering undergraduate degree?

With a physics graduate degree and an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, you may have a wide range of career options available to you. Some potential career paths include working in research and development for technology companies, pursuing a career in academia, or working in government agencies such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) or the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

Are there any specific skills or knowledge that may be helpful for someone with an electrical engineering background transitioning to physics graduate school?

Having a strong background in mathematics and computer programming can be beneficial for someone with an electrical engineering background transitioning to physics graduate school. Additionally, having a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism can also be helpful, as these are fundamental concepts in physics that may not have been covered extensively in an electrical engineering undergraduate program.