1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical engineering undergrad to physics grad school?

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    I am an electrical engineering undergrad student just finishing my first year. I have a love of physics and I was starting to wonder if it would be possible for me to stay in EE undergrad but change to physics for grad school. Is there enough physics in EE that I could make the switch?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This should have been posted in the Academic Guidance forum. A mentor will probably move this soon.

Secondly, you should start by reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

You will have deficiencies in the subject matter that you covered as an EE major. The question is, how much will it be and how much flexibility will your intended graduate program allows you to catch up with undergraduate courses. There's a lot of uncertainty here that cannot be answered since you are still years away from getting to that point.

Zz.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    That depends a lot on your particular program. Some EE courses include a fair amount of physics and pure math. But physics grad programs expect that their incoming students were physics undergrads.

Of course, it doesn't mean you won't be accepted, but they might make you take undergrad physics courses at first before they let you start doing the advanced stuff. If you've got time, maybe pick up a minor in physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook