1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a quick help with a simple identity

1. May 26, 2006 #1
    Hi
    Where is the error is this 'identity'?:

[tex](-e^i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}*e^{\frac{i}{2}}[/tex]

My calculator says that the right side is minus one times the left but I can't see the mistake I'v made. Help me please, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What happened to the "i" on the left? I assume that was a typo and you mean [itex](-e^i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}*e^{\frac{i}{2}}[/itex]

You have to be careful about apply "laws of exponents" to complex numbers- we all remember the "proof" that 1= -1:
    [tex]1= ((-1)(-1))^\frac{1}{2}= (-1)^\frac{1}{2}(-1)^\frac{1}{2}= (i)(i)= -1[/tex]

4. May 26, 2006 #3
    - I am not sure which 'i' (and 'typo') you are reffering to, your 'indentity' is, as far as I can say, identical to mine.

- So make this clear for me: when can I use the fact that [tex](A*B)^x = A^x*B^x[/tex] when A,B are complex and x real? (I have little knowledge of complex analysis)

I need to get [tex](-e^i)^x = something * e^{ix}[/tex] but I am not sure what the 'something' should be, obviously it is not [tex](-1)^x[/tex], could you please help me?

Thanks, H.

5. May 26, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, I didn't see that you had "i/2" rather than "1/2". Maybe I need to have my eyes checked!

Actually it is but (-1)x, like most complex valued functions, is multi-valued. You need to state which value you are using.

In your particular case, [itex](-1)^\frac{1}{2}[/itex] has two values: i and -i.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?